1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My new (used) JD GS30!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scapegoat, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

So I picked this up for $800 from a doctor who had his "staff" use it to mow his property. I took it over to my JD dealer and had them work it over, they greased and adjusted everything and slapped on a new carb. Runs great and is in really nice condition. It has the 13hp Kohler engine.

I just mowed my back yard with it. Leaves a nice clean cut. Thing seems to be as solid as they come. I've heard mention it's built like a tank, and that definitely seems to be true. Great size for smaller residential (.25 acre). I'm glad I didn't buy a 48".

I'm definitely going to get the mulch kit though and try that out.

Anyway, impressed so far. Here's a pic. Yeah, I know, I need to weed around my fruit trees. :p

2. lawnchamp

lawnchamp LawnSite Member

My JDGS30 is a workhorse. Bought it used (one year old) last year. Have had a few repairs though. My operator presence switch acted up (engine would start cutting out) but I was able to troubleshoot and repair it myself. My guy that usually operates it has hit a tree root and broke the toothed belt that drives the blades. He also hit a stump and rounded off the spindle shaft. My JD dealer pressed in a new shaft. He's fast with this mower, but a little rough on it.

I have a mulch kit. It has a plastic insert that you have to mount under the deck. The insert provides the baffling needed to stop the discharge. You will have to drill 2 or 3 holes in the deck to mount the insert. I wasn't crazy about drilling holes in my deck. The mulch kit works all right, I guess. I'm just not crazy about the plastic insert.
  3. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I bought a used GS30 last year (4 yrs old). It was originally purchased by an older women who just could not pull that cord any more. She had it maintained twice a year. Glad it always starts on the first pull because pulling that cord a half dozen times would do me in!

It gives a great cut (better than my 737) and has more power than you would ever need. Just wish it was elect start!

It cost me $1,800 but had very few hrs on it and the dealer had put it in top running condition for sale. The women bought a new elect. start mower so they sold the old one for her.
  4. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

those palm trees are a teasing me... i'm already missin bahamas (left wed.) just looking @ those beautiful fruit trees....

wow that mower is awesome looking being as you bought it for $800.... what year is it, was the doc office lawn the only use its seen?
  5. Scapegoat

Yeah, I have 3 citrus trees (lemon, lime and tangelo) and 1 fruit tree (peach). The peach is a variety developed to grow in southern Florida.

The guy told me the mower was a 1999. I thought it was newer being in such good shape. All original paint and not even any surface rust. It was clearly well taken care of and/or not used very much.

Dealer went over the whole thing with a fine tooth comb and said it's in great condition, just needed the carb cleaned, but I opted just to have them stick a new one on.
  6. Scapegoat

I just ordered the mulch kit from JD. Can't wait to try it out. But really, it does a nice job with just the side discharge.

I've used the mower for about 2 weeks now and no complaints. Starts on the first or second pull every time and leaves a clean cut. Best $800 I've spent in some time. :cool2:
  7. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

I have the same mower with the plastic mulch kit insert. It rocks. Leaves the best cut out of all of my mowers. I use it on my own personal lawn instead of the bigger mowers. I'm probably going to be looking for another one when I get the second crew going next spring.
  8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've got the same unit, bought it in feb. used, mulch kit, bagger and 4 sets of blades for 1500, bought just for gated yards, use it in my own gated yard more than any, I love it with the mulch kit for around pools.

Attached Files:

• gs30.bmp
      File size:
      600.1 KB
  9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I knew i was forgetting something, it also came with a brand new jungle jim sulky
  10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a gs30 five years ago and for various reasons it hasn't been used much. But I consider it one of the best machines I have ever owned. If I need to cut a lawn that is out of control I don't even consider the Walkers, I just load up the jd and rip away. Last week I cut two subdivision common areas that were seriously tall and the gs 30 just did an awesome job. It is a machine that owes me nothing but saves my rear every time I need it.