1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

My new used truck.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Duncan90si, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

I bought a 95 GMC 3500 DRW 5.7L 2WD. Picked it up for 2K. It was a sweeper truck for cleaning parking lots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I started stripping the truck down and selling all the sweeping components off of it. I wound up getting $1625 for the pony motor, sweeping head and broom, blower housing, etc. plus an additional $163 in scrap metal from it also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I basically paid $212 for the truck. It's already got the hydraulic cylinders to lift the 9' x 8' flatbed which will be here Monday. I need to clean it up, do a little undercoating, relocate the cylinders, make hinges, and build some modest looking stake sides and I should have a good "dump" truck for cheap money.

Whatcha guys think?

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Fab work yourself too......I'd say you're doing just fine. Good thinking.

How does it run? Whats the mileage? Overall condition?

3. Duncan90si

Yeah I love doing my own fab work. 136K on the odometer. I have personally driven the truck 100% of the time for the last 4 years, so there aren't no hidden surprises or problems. I bought it off of the company I work for. ( I do sweeping at night on the side for extra $$) Mechanically, it runs like a top, A/C works good also. I have/had to put a new gas tank, brake lines, rear tires etc. But other than that its a good truck.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Can't beat that.

5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice, you know how to spend your money wisely. Hope you get a good life out of that truck.

6. Duncan90si

The bed is on the truck. The bed is very nice, built well, and quite large. Now its time to make the hinges and mount the cylinders. :drinkup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Duncan90si

I haven't got the hinges finished and cylinders mounted yet. I built the stake sides and installed chrome wheel simulators. I'm going to paint the stake sides black to match the bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice, are you going to get some tool boxes on it?

9. Duncan90si

I'm planning on putting one underbody box underneath the driverside of the bed, mounted onto the frame rail. I was looking at some that were around 18"x18"x30". I will most likely mount a box on the tongue of my trailer also.

10. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

You weren't concerned that this truck hasn't really been over 40mph? Being that it was a street cleaner? How did you get it for so cheap?