1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My newest invoice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mcwlandscaping, Jan 1, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

How does it look guys? Made it up last night, i think it looks more professional than my last one (im not even gonna show that one!!lol)

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Mike W

Attached Files:

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Fine for a young person. It is all business though, you should have an announcement area, an upsell area, color...nice note area, (in no particular order)
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Okay for a young person that isn't truly a business. The real problem is that it looks like you made it in a word processing type program so there is no way to track payments/non-payments/year to date totals etc. For that you'll either need a true accounting program such as QB, a true Invoicing program (they're cheap like $30) or set up an Excel spreadsheet.

Also at teh bottom you have "Fully payment due..." and it should be Full Payment due....
  4. mcwlandscaping

MMlawn, thank you, i will be adding color and such, it is a word document. I track things by using excel and also i print out two bills and save one for my records and then record on it when the payment was recieved.

I have been looking into QB and Gopher quite a bit, i really like Gopher due to the amount of things you can do with it (advertising, billing, work record, etc.)

What is an upsell area, is that where you include services and such so they will see other things you offer when they are reading the bill?
    Also, what do you mean by announcement area?

Thanks guys for the replys!!
  5. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good mike! Mls huh thats my name too. I just don't know if I want to have LCI as my name.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I presume you will print out the "blank" invoice and then fill in with pen, correct? I highly suggest you have a way to make a copy of them, such as a duplicate carbonless paper. Having an exact copy of what you sent the customer is invaluable in times of "lost" invoices or having to send out overdue notices for late payers. Also, if someone calls questioning a charge or date on an invoice you can look at an exact copy of what they have and see for yourself if there is a problem.

I have done my invoices the "crude" way from day one. A few years ago I had a printing company do a little editing to what I had and printed them on 3 part carbonless forms. Instead of having a blank area that I'd have to write everything into "Mowing, Trimming, Spraying" Ect..., I broke mine into catagories that I use including an "other" catagory. I can just check the one (s) that I need and write in the dates that I was there.

Persoanlly I like to have the "total" at the bottom of the page under all the amounts. However, most bills I receive, cable, water, ect, come with the total at the top like yours... My invoices look pretty elementry I suppose but I made them functional for me. I am seriously thinking about upgrading myself this winter and going with the gopher software. After looking around I haven't found any other program that works so well and has the customer support they have. I always dread doing my invoices because it sucks up hours of time to do them by hand. computer programs can suck up even more time than that though, so I will have to expriment and see...

Good luck with the invoices. Play around with them more, look at other's examples and get ideas. I know it dosn't matter at all what they look like, it gets the necessary information to the customer so you can get paid. You could use a napkin and a crayon and do the same thing! But you have to have pride in your business. Professional appearence all the way down to the business cards and invoices does make an impression. Plus, you will feel better about yourself and your business, which is a big motivator, if you can look at something like that and be proud to let others see it.
  7. SodKing

Mike, the upsell area would be an area that you highlight a service that your client doesn't currently get. If you look at an invoice most of the area is white space (blank). Why not use that area to sell more of your product instead of wasting it.
  8. mcwlandscaping

Any chance you might be able to give me an example of what would be said in the upsell area? I would really appreciate it!!
  9. SodKing

Give me a couple hours, I may have an invoice in the truck otherwise I'll send one along tomorrow...
  10. mcwlandscaping

Thank you so much!!