1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My observation in regards to JD Z's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, May 17, 2008.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Alot of LCO's have ran toro's and kubota. The switch is on. Alot of guys are getting new JD Z and front mounts in my area. Reason 1 - toro dealer is out of selling toro's - nearest dealer now is 45 minutes away. Kubota is still here but alot of used kubota's at the JD dealer.

I have ran these machine to try them, mow with them and say I gave JD a fair shake. But after riding around checking on the local competitor's sites - those deere's look to be off. By off - I mean the deck or something. The cut is terrible. One side of the deck looks like it is scalping or cutting shorter than the other side. Now I really noticed this today while fert/spraying some of these accounts. Some are done with a Z and others are mowed with the front mount mowers.

What gives? I figure if one was that way, maybe the guide wheels, or maybe a low tire but after serval lawns looking this way, JD's cut just looks awful.

For the record, I am still running all toro equipment.
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Did they all come from the same dealer? Dealer probably not setting them up right. JD doesn't level the decks before shipping, dealer must do this before they leave the dealership. All of my JD ztrs cut nice.
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The mowers must be set up wrong because I think just about everybody will agree that the 7 Iron and 7 IronII decks are fantastic cutting decks.
  4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

JD may have a problem or two but cutting isn't one of them. The dealer must have them set up wrong. This is not normal at all.
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Really - I don't understand it. Yes all these machines have come from 1 dealer. I spoke with one guy yesterday and he said the same thing and went back to deere. They adjusted a guide wheel and said the ground is un-even. If my camera did justice to grass I would post a pic but hard to see with a pic.