My opinion of Commerical Lawn Sevices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NickelPlate759, Aug 19, 2004.

1. NickelPlate759

NickelPlate759 LawnSite Member

If there is one thing I can take away from this site, it is that lawn maintanice is one of very few industries, where the small, one-man operation, has the distinguished advantage over the large, legitimate, businesses.

That's it, I just thought I'd put that out there to see if others agree/disagree.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

why do you feel that?

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Please explain why you think that...............

4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

YES, Please explain.............I would love to hear this one...

5. fubunics

fubunics LawnSite Member

I like how you slipped in the word 'legitimate' in between the words 'large' and 'businesses' :rolleyes:

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

...did you mean "distinct" advantage? What are you saying, that a small LCO isn't a real business. That business license in my office says otherwise.

7. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Let me see because I work for myself by myself according to you I am not legitimate. I pay too much taxe's have a permit and licence and pay too much for stinkin Insurance. Oh I forgot I work my AZZ OFF.:angry:
    Well what do you have to say about that now nickel?

8. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like someone got lowballed by competition with no overhead. It happens, you will learn how to postion yourself in the market. The key is, you dont compete with the kid up the block. If they want to pay 10 $ for what that buys them than thats thier choice. Its kind of a wierd business that way but you know what, lots of business have the same issue.
    Know very clearly what your customers get that the cheapos dont. Its capitalism and your stuck with it.

9. IMPACT

IMPACT LawnSite Member

Funny, I thought my business license, pesticide license,contractor's license, and other assorted affiliations meant I was a "real" business too. Someone lied to me I guess. Funny thing is, I have a 3 man company , and we are about the same pricing structure as the other "larger" LCOs here in town. Where is my "distinct" advantage over them when we bid against each other? I surely don't win every bid against them, and they don't win over us all the time either. I pay taxes, assorted insurances, comp., etc. just like everyone else. I don't see where I have such a big advantage over everyone else. Explain this to me....

10. birdmann

birdmann LawnSite Member
    from fla

Well ican give you one thing that a big biz had over a one man biz ....

Buying power ...;there costs will be less cause they use more of the local dealers supplies ...this equal more profit ...

thats only one thing ..im sure i can figure a few more also ;)