1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My opion on all the under age mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 44toy, Jul 15, 2003.

1. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

If you are under 18 and have 15 or so decent residential yards or a few commercial, and anything better than a murry. then, more power to you! if you just make up stuff to fool with people then yahoo chat is a real good place.

I started around 11 with old pushmower, bought 8hp murry, and a trimmer around 14 (murry $125.00 trimmer $69.00 I think), got interetsed in parting, cars and girls around 16. Dropped yards took a year round mill job and and alot of fun. first opertunity blown!

Settled down about early twenties, married very broke maxed out with dept just to have somewhere to live. started back with push mower "seems like i did this about 10 years ago" and at 30 now am just getting ready to buy the first ztr (been running walkbehinds for about 6 years.) I had to most of my profits to pay bills, thats why it took 4 years to save $3000.00 for the 52" bunton hydro wb, lesco blade sharpener, and commercial trimmer. Hauled old equipment in pickup, borowed an old trailer that belonged to my mom a few times a week for a few years

If you stay on track you will be able to tell employees what to do and spend your day doing pr work and looking for more accounts. i would never put anyone who actually started and sweated through on whole year, no matter how much or little they made. When I started back in my twenties i cut some 1/4 acre neighbors yards with old push mower for $5.00, whew!

I'm not bragging or crying and don't need to see pic's of peoples equipment. If you are still in school (or any age really) and have the drive to make any size business work ( your my hero!) I have struggled for years and there are two 14 year olds I mow beside that have backup mowers that put my bunton to shame.

But I have one to blame but me, and cant we all just mow along?
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

very well said....welcome to the site.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, its kind of comical though to hear some people who are crying about a 15 year old kid because hes not paying taxes and doesnt have insurance.
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Say "Hi" to Barney and Opie for me. Wonder if Barney still has a bullet in his pocket or if Andy took it away when he retired?
  5. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

Don't do the whole andy, opie thing. people who drive miles to see mayberry only find a small town fizzling out. kind of fell sorry for them when you go down main street and someone asks "how do we get to mayberry?" You kind of hate to say, your standing in the middle of it, and giggle.

anyway how big of an outfit do you have? I like to get together and jaw with people, may stop by if i'm up that way. Loacal people who mow wont talk to each other or even throw up a hand sometimes. when I surveyed we would leave notes on other crews trucks we would be at xyz at 12:00 for lunch, they would show if if possible.

One new guy in town stopped to say hey to a big lawn service owner at a gas station (I was riding shot gun). pulled up beside his truck said "hi i'm so and so and i'm starting to mow in this area. " The big guy looked over his sunglasses at the jd steering wheel rider, murry push, and weed eater blower & trimmer on a triailer made from an old camper. looked at so and so and said "you must not mow much" and drove off. buddy just looked at me, I said get used to it. ever one thinks your trying to steel there work, if I do buy a ztr some of these guys are going to be seeing me dropping off bids against them.
  6. WPLE

WPLE LawnSite Member

Mowing is what kept me out of the trouble you refered to and i am so thankful that I have not turned out like some of my classmates have. Now I am 20 with a thriving lawncare business and a growing landscaping business. Used jd lawn tractors since i was 12. just purchased my first ztr over the winter.

About the rudeness, that is a problem around here also.
    I use to watch another local lco cut my grandmothers yard when i was young and now he is one of my closest friends. But other than him and maybe one other, they are all stuck up. I do not worry about it though cause my name is out there and people know me and that is the best advertising you can ask for(not bragging, just making a point). Most of these guys come from a town 30mi. away and i do not understand how they can justify coming over with a price that is competitive with us locals, no sweat though
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the culprit is gone...
  8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

44toy- I went to college in NC. If you're ever in Richmond give me an e-mail before hand. I've always heard Andy retired in the OBX.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

How true, how true it is that people in this business won't give the time of day to others in the same biz when they see them on the road.Amusing to me cause I figure if I relate to my customers and listen to what they want as well as give them quality service I will have nothing to worry about.Too many think that somehow because they have a trailer and some equipment that there pretty special.once again I just don't get it.We actually work WITH others and the rewards are reaped regularly.just my view
    from my little part of the world.
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Amen to this. I try to talk to as many other LCOs as possible. Working with others has helped me far more than being angry and acting like a jerk to other LCOs. I have given leads, accounts and jobs to LCOs when I couldn't handle or wasn't interested. Nobody can mow every lawn, so why not exist in cooperation with others?

Any teens that can make this business work and be successful I say more power to them. To learn the business world at an early age will help them no matter what they do later in life.