1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

my other guy discontinued cutting grass...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 4, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

as we are advertising, and doing lots of estimates, i'm hearing alot of this: "i had a guy for a long time, he's still in business, but eliminated his grasscutting end of it, he's only doing landscaping now." what's up with that?
  2. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

More profit in Landscape then lawn. Alot of people just do lawns for a client base till they are known for their Landscape and Hardscape work then sell the accounts to someone who wants an instant biz or add on.
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

My goal is eventually to stop cutting grass also and do Landscape installations full time. Thats where the money is and the creativity.....
  4. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting more into landscaping as well, but I think it is also important to keep your lawns as lawn accounts are steady income.
    I'm going to keep doing lawns unless I get to the point where I am busy all year doing landscaping. Lawns pay less, but they are dependable. Landscaping pays more, but can be more sporadic.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with our fellow Joysee guy says bobby...but if I did that, I would be out of business since mowing consists of 73% of my total business revenue (2003 anyway).
  6. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

I want to start with mowing, but for me seeing the same lawn every mondays at 8:00 am and getting scratched by the same holly bush at 8:30 am etc.... is so mindnumbing to me I couldn't see doing it for the next 25 years. check this guy out he's a local that started in 78 or 80 just doing maintence.... www.pillari.com
  7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: ill only cut the lawn if i do the fert. or some other work, so we now do 210 full service accounts, i feel that works really well for us. i know in feb. what kinda clean-up work we have to do, no advertising needed, just a crap load of mulch.

bobby doing a paver job in marlboro, pm me and i fill you in, stop by. tony

ps. also by doing full service its nice to get a $200- 500 check each month from your customers
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's just it with alot of guys in this industry. They get so focused on doing the mowing, that thay can't see the forest through th trees. I can't even tell you about how many incidents and people that brought in $180 for the month on the account, and left $200 sitting on the table. What really gets me are these "mow only" operations.
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't want to do any landscaping. That stuff bores me and it's a major pain in the butt, imo. There's money to be made doing lots of things, I don't have to do them all.
  10. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

bottom line, there's not enough money in mowing, there's alot more in landscape but even that is getting worse and worse. I get 90% of my landscape wrk from my lawn accounts becasue they usually don't bid it out and I usually don't get work when it's bid out because I'm in business to make money, not for my health. Thats the biggest reason I keep all the lawn, there are a few others but I'm not gonna be a millionare just cutting grass, thats for sure.