My peterbilt finally arrived...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mow king, Jan 30, 2010.

1. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Ebay can be a dangerous place - Was sick of trying to overwork light duty trucks hauling equipment////was planning on a F550 but then I saw this...

1979 Peterbilt 359....400hp cummins with a 13spd. Should get the job done just fine, it'll be pulling a 25ft 5th wheel flatbed.

2. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

Nice! Ebay is a dangerous place, however I ended up buying all my trucks locally.

Depending on the rear axle ratio that's utterly my preferred combo in a transport. Cummins with the 13 speed. I've never spec'd a class 8 with a single axle, but that's most definitely cool for hauling heavy equipment around. At least you shouldn't have to worry about tongue weight. Mileage might not be the greatest, but for driving ease and staying within DOT weight limits, you can't go wrong
  3. threeleafllc

threeleafllc LawnSite Member

very nice
    ideal set up for hauling nice and short!

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

thatll sure get the job done for you
  5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Now that's a wicked little truck, good choice!
  6. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

That is awesome! Maneuvering shouldn't be a problem; it isn't much bigger than a pickup truck.
  7. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly my thoughts except with a 35,000lb gvw, air ride and 3 times the torque.
  8. Alpha Property

Alpha Property LawnSite Senior Member

awsome, get rid of the 5th wheel and put a nice aluminum flat bed on it all pollished up and the goose neck hook ups, then i think it would realy pop
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That truck is a custom built it is pretty rare you find a single axle tractor like that. The 13spd is probably a 12513 with the OD howl. Good transmission they were common in those year of trucks.

Here is a 400 Cummins with a 13spd
  10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Very cool ! Congrats