1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

My peterbilt finally arrived...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mow king, Jan 30, 2010.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

very good choice.

2. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it was pulling end dumps in Cali prior to my purchase, and it actually has the running gear out of a 1991 Peterbilt 379

3. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Sweet purchase, better to be on the safe side and get a truck bigger than what you need.

4. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

Mileage isnt going to be any worse than a 1 ton diesel, plus it will haul a ton more and a lot more safe. big motors are the only way to go!!

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Have a look on the timing gear plate its on the injection pump side of the engine see what series the engine is. You would hope to see 400 BCIII you don't want to see 444 which is the 444 engine not the best had quite a few problems.

If the truck has a transmission from a 1991 it will have the heavier 13spd.

You can get more power out of the old 400 Cummins but you have to know what you are doing when adjusting the old PT pump. Best to leave it be.

If the truck has a 3 stage JAKE have the Jake plungers rebuilt and have the adjustment along with the valves. The 400 Cummins has a good Jake it will lock up the wheels on a single axle.

Never idle a 400 Cummins for a long period of time the injectors slobber quite abit the old PT fuel system isn't a high tech system. There is no injection pump the pump on the engine pretty much feeds the injectors with fuel through the heads. You look between the heads there are fuel crossover pipes they tend to leak. Those little O rings are a b*tch to change.

I like the old 400s they usually are problem free.

6. mow king

Yeah - I'll have to take a look at the motor next time I'm at the yard.

It does have the 3 stage jake brake.

90% of the time I won't be grossing 50k pounds, I really doubt I'll have to turn this motor up! Going to try leaving it stock.

7. mow king

The two pics of the motor I have on my comp..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Gravel Rat

A 400 Cummins will have around 1250-1300 Ftlbs of torque. You will definatly want to learn how to float the transmission. Using the clutch to shift with a 400 your going to blow shifts.

9. Gravel Rat

It looks like that old girl is turned up the turbo looks like it has gotten hot :laugh:

The turbo doesn't look like the whistler Holset you usually find on the 400s maybe it is just hard to tell from the pictures. Does the exhaust note have a sound like birds chirping and when you rev it up the engine has a pronounced turbo whistle.

10. Gravel Rat