1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My PG vs. home made spread/spray

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DiscoveryLawn, Oct 30, 2004.

1. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I still have two of my mowers from when I used to mow. Great Dane Super Surfer 61" and a Great Dane Chariot 61".

I am considering selling the PG and converting the Chariot into a dedicated spreader/sprayer this winter. The reason I am considering the Chariot over the Surfer is because I think it will be easier to build using the Chariot and I think I can put a larger tank on it. I would build a mount above the engine (on the rear) for a 26 gal. (maybe larger if I can make it work) tank. Put a spreader and boom sprayer on the front. Instal trays on the side for fert. bags. Make a console for foot controls of valves, spreader on/off, sprayer on/off, 3rd hole shut off and side deflector (am I missing anything?)

After I remove the 61" deck, the machine will fit through a 47" gate.

I am weighing the pros v. cons of doing this. This is what I have thought of so far.

- more coverage between fert., tank and fuel fill-ups = more productive
    - faster application = more productive
    - can be more competitive on larger lawns.
    - easier to operate (not that the PG is difficult)
    - better hillside stability
    - more durable machine = more reliable
    - can mount a 50 ft. hose with wand for tight areas (better than squeeze bottle)
    - can attach an electric/hydro lift pull behind aerator = versatile
    - can attach pull behind yard trailor = versatile
    - can attach pull behind sprayer (for whatever)
    - can re-attach mower deck when/if needed

- hydro drive system will be difficult to maintain consistant speed. This problem is a must to solve.
    - will have to pull trailer
    - will not fit through smaller gates. I only have a few lawns that I could not do with this machine that I now can do with the PG. I do small lawns manually anyway.
    - I have never done anything like this before ...don't know if I can build it well.

This is what I have come up with so far. Any other thoughts? :help:

2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Dave, sell the pg, and chariot ( or sufer, keep the one you like to mow with ) and buy a zspray, all the bugs are worked out, and more productive on larger lawns then the pg's
  3. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

James I thought some one would say that. I am considering doing that as well. But there are a couple of things that make me lean toward the Chariot rig.

1. The financial. All the equipment is paid for. I can sell the PG and the Super Surfer and pay off some credit or invest in advertising in spring. I already have many of the things I need to build the new rig. I can easily do this for under $1000.00.

2. Versatility. It would be nice to have one machine that I can mow (my lawn), pull my 1.25 cubic yard lawn trailer with (great for mulching), do production with and aerate with.

Thanks for the reply James.

Any other pros/cons?

4. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I just picked up the z-spray max last monday.
    I ran it all week and the amount of production I got done this week was phenominal.
    The machine is very well designed and very easy to operate.
    You commented on ground speed. The z has an adjustable bar that and speedometer that makes calibrating and maintaining speed a snap.

James has come up with a way to pull an aerator. Talk to him. Maybe some minor adjustment on the draw bar of your trailer and you can pull it too.

I highly recommend the z-spray. L.T. Rich has been great to deal with too.
  5. 6inline

6inline LawnSite Member

I used that approach two years ago and modified a 52" Great Dane super surfer for granular applications only. Mods included: 1. Mower deck removed 2. Adapter plates made for Spyker 220# electric spreader using 6 SS bolts for easy attachment 3. Rubber and plastic deflectors added to Spyker unit to prevent fertilizer from accumulating on adapter plate and to divert fert from motor area 4. Adjust safety bar to slow machine down to 4-5mph and calibrate spreader. PROS: very stable on hills, less fatique and minimal turf damage from unit. CONS: width of unit around 50", no spraying capabilities and most concerning corrosion (rust on welds of front caster arms, hardware, and locked up electric clutch unit) I also had rust on the welds of the deck that was stored in my shop when not being used-poor metal prep prior to powder coating by Great Dane!

Been there, done that, moved on to a Z-spray Jr. unit this year and have returned the GD back to just mowing my own yard. The Z-Spray Jr. is a great unit! No more spot spraying with a hand held sprayer and back tracking all over a property to find those broadleaf weeds you saw while fertilizing. I went with the Jr. model with the intentions of using a carrier to transport the unit instead of a trailer(still using enclosed trailer). Only miss the GD on a few properties with alot of hills. The Jr. is pretty stable but has less traction(likes to slide on wet grass and going down hill). Have almost 100 hrs. on the Z-Spray Jr. in two rounds and no downtime with new unit. Only one dislike with the Z-Spray Jr. compared to the GD is with the safety pad that you lean against. GD's came down below my knees and the Z-Spray Jr. stops about an inch above my knee caps(And I have bruise both knee caps-painful).
    Good luck with your decision David!
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Do I sense a slight move away from the pgs for you? I think the z-spray is the way to go myself!
  7. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

PG got me 2x's with " newer model is better " trick, anit gonna happen again.
    Although I cant wait to see there new model being introduced next week at gie, geez there I go again.

Im just wait for the zspray to put a lesco spreader on a unit. I buy it the next day, however There are 2 guys here ( lawnsite ) that are close to me, so Im gonna check out there machines early this winter.
  8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Let us know what your impressions are..