my phone doesn't stop ringing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, May 26, 2004.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

my schedule is full. i guess with everyone buying houses these days and the economy picking up that is where all the business is coming from. i started the year with 18 customers. now i have 42 with a few jobs a week for one time cuts. i also have a full time job. after paying a employee and gas i'm able to take at least $1400 a week for myself. well to the phone ringing i get on average 6-8 calls a day a few on the weekend. i stopped answing my phone because i hate to tell people i can't take any more work. i gave some of the calls with people who left voice mails to a friend of my that trying to build his business.. what do u do when your full. a lot of my customers are big contracts. well big to me 5 HOA, town home community, church, cemenitary. i have one guy working with me and don't want to expand til next year. my job i make 52k a year and i'm not wanting to leave til next sping. but basically i just wanted to know what you do with the calls if you can't take the work.. for those who might ask i just advertise in the yellow pages. a credit card size ad

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Raise your prices

3. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

I know why I left my full time job, but if your making 52k a year, why do you want to leave?

4. jeff_0

from md

i'm aready getting over the $1 a minute price average.

5. jeff_0

from md

i figured i could be able to make more working for myself. 52k a year isn't much at all these days.

6. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the same position as you, Jeff O, we make about the same money. I think i could make more mowing than sitting at work everyday. but with a wife, two kids and a house payment. It seems kind of scary if it does not work out. I'm only at about 22-25 customers, but My (before expenses) grass income so far is more than I bring home at the full time job on a monthly basis. If this is all I did i would be able to all my yards in 1-1.5 days, so i could easily do 3-4 times what i'm doing now if i was full time.