1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My PITA Story... Drop Her Or Not???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, May 31, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Ok.. Ive been moving this property for a few years. This year the price goes up (fuel and its been the same for awhile) I mowed her place today and when I get home she calls me up:

Her - "My lawn doesent look good.. "
    Me - "In what way?"
    Her - "I dont know.. it doesent look as good as you used to do it"
    Me - "Ok Ill come by right away to see you.. "

So I show up and she just keeps pointing at the lawn and saying it dosent look good (but wont tell me why.. ) eventually she says that she "dosent like the stripes.." Ok Ill take away the stripes and go around in circles. Next was "you do it too fast.." "you do too many jobs" "other people are complaining too" Even when I said im come back tomorrow morning and recut it shorter and minus the stripes at no cost she hummed and hawed till I basically walked away. I think she complained for the sake of complaining. This is a small town and everyone does talk. We had a week of solid rain and it was a bit long so I cut it at 3.5" I dunno.. now I have to contact all my clients and see if they have any concerns with my work (for my own peace of mind) This is more a chance to vent than anything.. I think shes going to find herself dropped soon. Well see how tomorrow goes :rolleyes: ;)
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

why? Cause she wasnt pleased with your service. Sounds like a good reason to drop you...

Seriously...>Some people come and ask should i drop them....its one minor offense. When you get to the point that you dont need business drop them... If you need some business work for them...

3. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Yeah you have to know her I guess... its not her first time complaining about nothing.. I was just venting...
  4. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

Some people just love to whine, its like a hobby to them, just take it with a pinch of salt or if you can't handle it dump her, don't worry about her bad mothing you to others as everyone that knows her will also no thats shes just a whining old bat that needs to get a life!
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would let it go this time, but if she constantly whines about the service tell her, "ok, you need to tell me what is wrong that I am doing or perhaps you need to find someone else, because I can't constantly be coming over here to help you solve your problem when you won't tell me what is wrong."
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i wouldnt tollerate that. i have no people who complain about legit things. for the simple reason that it is a legit complain of somthing that is actually wrong and can be fixed.

people who complain in general or "just dont like the job" are either just waisting air talking or looking to get somthign for free.

you dont need that bs, so dont take it.
  7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Any unreasonable complaints = BYE BYE

I have a customer and have been mowing the property this year on my contract and last year as a sub-contract. She is having a brick entrance and light poles installed on both sides of the end of her driveway. There are over 50 flags on the lawn right now that are marking (water,gas,electric, invisible fence, etc).. She told me I need to trim around all of the flags (they are all clumped together in a 60' x 5' area). She had them all of last season but keeps putting the work off (while leaving the PITA flags in all year).. So I go back in the spring and there are only 3 or 4 flags and I said "ok. no big deal". I mow the first week with the 4 flags and come back the next week and find 50+ flags.. So, I trim around the flags the best I can and she calls back and says "you didn't get close enough". I'm like 1" away from them.. She calls back tonight and says I want to make sure you get every inch all the way up to those flags tomorrow. I told her to find someone else because I'm done putting up with her s&*@..

If you don't need them, drop them and pick up someone else..

BTW, this is how nice I keep the opposite side of the above mentioned property looking...

8. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

What about going back and mowing EVERY one of those flags down!
  9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I agree. The only thing I would look out for is she might be fishing. She might be getting some presure to switch services. Others are complaining she says? Call her on it. "Really Mrs. Flanders, like who. I'd really like to know so that i can fix this"
  10. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Like you mentioned in the initial post that perhaps this was nothing more than a chance to vent... Perhaps this is how your client vents? I had an excellent (elderly) client for almost 8 years before she passed away. Without fail she would complain once or twice a year even though she always paid me a solid $5 over the price I quoted her every year. (she had excellent turf, one of my "pride and joy" accounts. I'd have done it for less just for braggin' rights!)

Sounds like your client is an older person. They have to deal with aging, family and friends passing away leaving them more alone in the world and it has an impact we won't know 'til we're there. It doesn't make complaints any less offensive, especially when you know you've done the same good work you've always done. Unless it's a real problem they might just be having a rough time, most of us can relate...

Give her a chance, if it becomes too cumbersome let someone else carry her load.