My pond pics-How do I get rid of string alage?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by The Lawn Boy Pro, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Cutrine-plus is a copper sulfate product. I use it all the time. No fish kills ever.

Mike

2. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

Grassmechanic,

Do you know why you could have a fish kill from using this product?

Just curious.

3. Grassmechanic

Darwin - If you follow the label directions for Cutrine-Plus, you will not have any fish kills. I've used it for the last 8 yrs. in an ornamental pond with 200 - 300 fish. Never lost a single fish.

Mike

4. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

Thats cool mike, I was just curious if you knew what damage could happen with a copper sulfate based product.

My original post mentioned copper sulfate. I believe I also mentioned..................follow the directions.................

Back to the previous question.............. do you know?

Kudos..........8 years in the same pond............any other ponds that you maintain?

5. Grassmechanic

Darwin - Cutrine-Plus is the only copper sulfate product I use. I have not used the granular copper sulfate, so I cannot answer your question. I also use shading dye in larger ponds as well. I maintain several other ponds, but I'm getting out of the pond maint. business due to the amount of red tape involved with permit applications, reports, etc.

Mike

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

LOTS OF CATFISH works in my pond :drinkup:

7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

you can use copper sulfate pellets, which is a contact killer, or you can use cutrine plus, a liquid form of copper sulfate. only treat part of the pond at a time. If you kill a large amount of algae or other plants in your pond, when they start to decay they will use up a large amount of oxygen, possibly resulting in a fish kill.