My post cards- comments?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JFGauvreau, Mar 21, 2011.

1. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

I will be sending around 2.5k of those 4"X6" post cards pretty soon, would like to know your inputs.

I had to re size the image so that it wold let me post it, the width has shrunk a bit.

Trying to keep it simple but yet attractive, this is the front view btw.

postcards small.jpg

2. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I like it, simple and to the point. I don't like the "front lawn only" what if its a house close to the street with a 500 sq ft front and 10k back or just the oposite the house is set back with barely any turf in back but here is 15k of grass out front? I would simply put *restrictions apply, call for details. or I would put upto xxxx sq ft

3. JFGauvreau

Ya I know, it's because most front lawns in my area are no more than 1500 sq feet, but ya I agree on the corner lots. Maybe i'll change it to restrictions apply instead, thanks.

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

nice and simple

5. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

Is that the only service you offer? Around here, core aeration is best up-sold to clients. Hell I don't think 96% of them even know what it is and certainly don't know if they need it. And usually people think they need it and they probably need something else...

It seems like a lot of empty space too. Ads are best when they are simple but I think this may be a case of oversimplification? I think it needs some more information on why I should hire your company...

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, in my neck of the woods too, aeration alone wont sell. No one knows what it is or even cares unless you personally upsell and explain the benefits.
    Add some more service to your card I think.

I do like how your card looks, just add a few tidbits.

7. JFGauvreau

No I sell lawn care programs that offers ferts apps, overseed, dethatch, etc.

But also sell aeration as a service alone.

Thanks, I'll see how I can change it.

8. JFGauvreau

Ya it's just not the same around here, aeration is the most profitable.

A lot of folks would like to save the hassle of renting an aerator and do-it-yourself.

9. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion, it's very, very difficult to make money off of direct mail that's a one-time type deal, unless the job is worth some serious $$. (Like weekly lawn maintenance, tree service, etc.)

Out of curiosity? What is your average price per aeration? I ask because, if they start at $30, maybe your average is $50? Your ad here in the states would have to go on an oversize post card, total cost for printing and distribution, might be 40 cents/piece. With a 1% retention rate that's going to be $40/job in ad costs, and I think a lot of people have come to experience that the 1% number is a pipe dream.

After you factor in estimating the job, doing it, etc, how are you managing to make money on this? Direct mailings cost a LOT of money per piece.

10. JFGauvreau

Cost me around 150$ with shipping (50$ was just the shipping) to get 2500 printed out, Will cost me another 100$ to have them distributed.

1% would be 25 clients, at average 50$ = 1250$ - cost = 1000$ profit + opportunity to get more work thrum word of mouth.

Of course those are just statistics, I might be a .5% like you said.

Main reason for those post cards is to get my name out there, making sure people remember me, I have an ad in the newspaper too. In the back of the postcards is a list of my services, driveway sealing is also popular around here witch is my expertise, most homes are around 250$.

The 1st month, April, is to cool for sealing, so I stay busy by doing spring services.