My problem with labor is that I don’t pay enough…

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Likestomow, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have paid up to $12 per hour and it is still difficult to hire and retain quality people because eventually they all get lazy.

This year I plan to pay 50% of the gross to my workers as labor cost. I will furnish the equipment and the gas. If a property pays $30 to mow, the worker gets $15. If it takes him one hour to do it alone, he makes $15 per hour, not counting his driving time. Has anyone else tried this?
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

please tell me that you are kidding???
  3. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't do that, you'll lose lots of payup payup !!!!! Explain more why you need to give away 50% of your money!
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$12 an hour, in tennessee? aint that more than the chief of police makes out there? look, there is a saying: you can take a guy, worth $2 an hour, and pay him $20 an hour, he will still only be worth, $2 an hour. NOW, you can take a guy worth $20 an hour, pay him $2 an hour, and he will work like you're paying him $20 an hour. good employees are hard to find, at any price.
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Face it, good help isnt easy to find, no matter how much you pay. keep paying what you're givin em now. otherwise, you'll lose more money than you're makin.
  6. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

That is rediculous if its all your equipment and supplies and you are going to let your employee walk away with 1/2. He will be making more than you.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

OOOHHH please wise up.
  8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

BobbyG makes a good point. Money isn't always going to make an employee work harder/better. A bad employee is a bad employee. The truth of the matter many people get into this biz employees and employers alike thinking that it is easy work. When in truth, in the middle of summer when it is 100 degrees out and your sweaty and dirty it is not gonna matter much that you are paying them 50%. If they hate it, or they are lazy they will still hate it or be lazy. A good employee is hard to find. If you find one pay them well, but don't ever destroy your biz over it. You are in biz to make money, and if you give 50% of the gross away you will not be in biz very long. Just not a good idea IMO.
  9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah - Find a retired person that is bored. Pay them 10-15 per hr. they are happy and you are happy.
  10. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

If they want to work they will. I need help in the spring and fall and i always have people that SAY they want to work unitl i need them.