my problem with the exmark cut.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, Oct 21, 2005.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have been having problems with my exmark since day one, and here are the pics to show what I mean. the pics don't do full justice to the streaking, and the choppy cut.

my deck pitch is 1/4"

SD with exmark mulching blades.

running at 3570 no load rpm.

razor sharp blades (sharpened every 8 hours).

what is wrong, or is this standard for the exmark cut?

exmarkcut.JPG

2. TClawn

close up of the cut, so how it looks choppy? I am cutting at 3"-2.5"

exmarkcut1.JPG

3. EXspyguy

EXspyguy LawnSite Member

Why mulching blades if your side discharging? You didn't mention what machine your using but I've found that the standard blades or solid airfoil blade seem to work best if side discharging.

4. TClawn

I use the offset mulching blades (solid foil), because it chops the clipping up finer so you can't see them on the lawn. I am using a lazer Z hp 48" '01 model, with a new (installed 50 hours ago) 18 hp kohler. the model would be lzhp4818kc.

5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i use high lift blades on ine with no problems and your RPM's should be higher kohler manual calls for 3750 with no load. tony

6. TClawn

actually, the manual calls for the engine to be governed to 3600 rpm no load. 3750 is the MAXIMUM the engine can be run without danger of compnents breaking in the engine. I personally do not want cylinders coming loose in the engine, so I will stick with the mfg recomendation on this one.

7. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like one side in cutting lower than the other. Have you tried leveling the deck? Follow the instructions in the manual and the cut will be perfect. My mower was WAY off from the factory and after I leveled it up, it cut amazing.

8. TClawn

ok, I'll try leveling it again, maybe I'll try 1/8" pitch this time, or even level it out.

9. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Are you doing it by using the blocks that the manual calls for? I tried doing it some other way at first by just measuring, and it still cut like crap. You MUST use the blocks to get the cut perfect. Exmark has the best cut quality of ANY ZTR, and the picture in the above post is NOT what it should look like. You should have a lot better results than what you're getting.

10. TClawn

I know, that is what I think, how do you make blocks to that size? can you buy them? I measured, so that may be the problem.