My problem with the Expo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summitgroundskeeping, Jul 22, 2001.

1. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get me wrong I had the world's greatest time at the Expo this year. However, I saw some crazy driving there. People just flying around weaving in, out, and around other people on machines. People like at Dixxi, Hustler, and and Ferris flying around, ripping up turf, and racing each other. There were too many unsafe people there for me. I was afraid I was going to get hit by some body. Any one else?
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

It looks pretty crazy. But the way I see it is this : How much order can you actually have with that many people running around demo'ing your equipment? Your right though, they should draw the line somewhere.

I can't wait till I get to go see the madness in person, I'm tired of looking at the pictures! ;)

Hope you still had a good time, even with all the confusion!
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

What? Did you think the expo wouldn't draw stupid people? I bet it can get pretty nuts. Like Guido said, I'd really like to go next year too. There has got to be alot of neat things there.
  4. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

You are absolutely right, summit. It seemed like every time I drove or tried something there was someone trying to see how fast they could make that fancy ztr go in a 20x20 space. I was testing out one of the Hustler walk behinds and after nearly getting run over twice I decided to put it away.

But what can you expect. There were a lot of people there. I had a good time and tested out a lot of different mowers. I was most impressed with the Hustler Super Z. The controls were very smooth. I guess my second choice would have been the Kubota. I drove it expecting it to be a dud but it had very good controls and handling. I liked the new Husqvara walk behinds. I like the Walker and Wright Stander as well. I now know that when I go to buy new equipment which ones I will demo. My least favorites were the Rich Convertible, Dixie Chopper (sorry Eric) and Ferris.

All in all, I would say it was a good expo. I cannot compare it to years past, since it was my first, but I was told that it seemed to be smaller by some of the repeat expo goers. Anyway I had a good time and it gave me a chance to get away from work for a couple of days with the wife.
  5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been to the Expo 4 times in the last 6 yrs. I have not been down there the past 2 yrs. I too have run into the jerks flying around & ripping things up. I can't believe they haven't cracked down on these idiots. Someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed and then we won't have the hands on outdoor demo's anymore. The operators of the Expo need to address this problem as I see by summitgrounds post it hasn't stopped. :( ED
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I saw 9 year old kids with better control over some of the equipment then there Dad! The venders have a lot of work ahead of them getting the demo feild back into the condition as when the show started! Not only were there 10ft pits to back fill from back hoe demos but ground torn up all over from ztrs and bobcats...... sure was impressed! I didnt want to get out of the air conditioned kabota back hoe!
  7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

You mentioned that you were not too happy with the DC and the Ferris, could you please just say a little about what you did not like.

8. Alanky

Alanky LawnSite Member

yes there were some bad drivers there. I had to stop a few times to avoid being plowed into. I missed the turf mag booth! where was it?? i looked and asked people but didnt see it. That was about the only thing i didnt see though. Maybe next year ill find it and sign in, maybe meet some of you. I liked the smooth operation of the land pride ztr's. had never heard of them before the expo, anybody else like those? I also have never been to impressed with snapper's commercial equipment, liked the ones they had there. their ztr's looked alot like the great dane chariots.
  9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Landpride Z is made by Hustler.
    Paint, name, engine cover and muffler cover, are the only differences.

There was way to many wild drivers out there the last 3 days...
    We could not keep up with the traffic in the Hustler booth, we had people on the mowers at all times.
    Wish there was more grassy areas there, so we could get more room....
  10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I got there early to demo equipment. But later, WOW, it was really crazy. I stopped back by the Hustler booth and they where swamped. All of them were trying to pull the keys, especially on the super z (15 MPH). I feel sorry for all of you manufacture's, too many to really keep up with, but at the same time you want people to try your machines. Maybe you can just limit the number of machines running to 2 at a time, just to be more safe. Just a thought. I loved then demo. It does give everyone a chance to check out the stuff. Nothing like a little hands one try out! I had fun and as Arnold say's "I'll be back". Thanks to everyone at both Hustler booths. Everyone there was very friendly and nice to talk with!