My Résumé

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Country_Joe, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Country_Joe

Country_Joe LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Would you hire me?

I would like to give a little information about myself just to test the waters. Before I go knocking on the local doors I would like some input concerning the viability of my prospective employment. All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

First of all, let it be known that I LOVE to mow, trim and blow.

My background:
    I am 45 years old and in good health. I have recently retired from our family retail business. It is the only job that I ever have had. I started when I was 15 and helped to grow the business from a small operation to a chain of retail stores doing 70 million a year with 550 employees. I have worked in all aspects of the business so I am very familiar with what it takes to run a successful company. I retired because I could. I wanted to slow down and simplify my life.

Second of all, let it be known that I LOVE to mow, trim and blow.

I have thought about starting my own Lawn Care business, but I really do not want the headaches associated with running a company. I just retired from that. All I want to do is to fill part of my day with the rewards that I receive from doing a job well done. To be outdoors, smell the fresh cut grass and to look back as I am pulling away to see a well manicured lawn.

I am looking for a part time job only. If things worked out well I would consider going full time. But with that, I would expect access to health benefits. The rate of pay is not important. Whatever the going rate in the local area happens to be. You would find that I am very dependable and meticulous about my work. I get along well with others and can take direction well as long as the customer is foremost in mind.

My mowing experience:
    None commercially. But at my own home I use a Walker MT20 GHS. I have used it for five seasons and feel quite comfortable on this machine. Pictures of my home will explain why I chose the Walker. I feel I could adapt to any quality commercial mower. If all out speed is your main priority, I may not be the person for you. But I am no slouch either, just put quality of cut above speed.

Pictures of my lawn are:
    http://home.ctlnet.com/~dlance/_wsn/page2.html for broadband users

http://home.ctlnet.com/~dlance/_wsn/page3.html for dial-up users

Sorry for the slowness of these pages…high resolutions

Thank you for your time and responses.

Country_Joe (Dennis)

P.S.
    These pictures are a couple of years old. My lines are straighter today.
    And did I mention: I LOVE to mow, trim and blow.

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Hrm... if finances allow I think retirement was a good idea. Why not just mow your neighbors lawns or ask the Super at your local golf club if you can take up green cares on the grounds.

Seems like your taking this approach backwards.... you finished your hard work early.. enjoy it, kick back and relax. ??

The company you retired from is not taking care of your insurance needs?!? "I would expect access to health benefits. The rate of pay is not important." Seems like im missing something here?

BTW.. nice pics.

Chuck

3. Country_Joe

from Indiana

Hi Chuck

"Hrm... if finances allow I think retirement was a good idea. Why not just mow your neighbors lawns or ask the Super at your local golf club if you can take up green cares on the grounds"

Well, mowing the neighbor's lawns has crossed my mind as there are many acres of pretty nice lawns here to manicure. But I would like to keep where I work and play separate. As for the golf course, thought of that too but not real fond of dodging little flying white canonballs.

"Seems like your taking this approach backwards.... you finished your hard work early.. enjoy it, kick back and relax. ??"

That is how I relax.

"The company you retired from is not taking care of your insurance needs?!? "I would expect access to health benefits. The rate of pay is not important." Seems like im missing something here?"

I am currently on Cobra but trying to pick up insurance through my wife's employer. Rate of pay? I look to be fairly compensated but it would not be an issue.

Thanks for the compliment on the pictures.

I'll take this as a no response...fair enough.

Dennis

4. Administrator

Well, what I looked for in an employee might be different from the next....

I had the same guys for 5 seasons. I could throw them a set of truck keys and they could finish from there...

We did the highest quality work at the fastest time possible... drop, mow, blow. We worked all day long, non stop, no complaining, no blisters, no moaning...

If we could not have a average lawn done in less than 15 minutes, driving away... something went wrong. (7,000sqft)... most of that time spent unloading, dropping of the invoice (if needed), loading up, starting the truck....

This is tough work... I can remember the process of searching for help... Most of the guys quit very quickly, bent over puking from "heat stress"... and mostly all of these guys were not over 19 years old.

See, compensation is not an issue with you.. BUT, compensation will be an issue with your employer. This means very fast production. As a employer I had never considered meticulous employees... Perfection comes second nature after busting your arse 12 hours a day pretty quickly. If a new employee could not get "it" after the first day I did not hire them. Mowing & trimming a lawn is quite a simple process but its a process that must be done right, the first time.

"If all out speed is your main priority, I may not be the person for you. But I am no slouch either, just put quality of cut above speed."

We cut at the highest rate possible to perform the best possible job... if a ZTR is at the highest maintenance level this is very FAST. (I don't consider Walker a fast production piece of equipment, but, perfect for other situations)

Sounds like to me your best approach would be self employment... get full maintenance clients (mowing, landscape, flowers, weeding, etc., etc., )

But then again, I sold my business in 99 so im not hiring... you might be just the guy someone else is seeking.

Chuck

5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Country Joe, Nice place. Looks like you have great pride in your home and it show's. If you were in Maine I'd love to give you a shot, how long's the commute from Indiana??? LOL Good luck to ya.:)

6. Country_Joe

from Indiana

LB,

I hear Maine is awful pretty this time of the year. Some great canoeing rivers to boot. But my wife is steadfast, loves her job and family too. Would love to work with a Walker operation.
    Don't mind doing a little sweating. Gets plenty hot here in Indiana. Do understand the relationship between speed and quality and the balance thereof.
    Thanks for the offer....Dennis

7. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Dennis:
    Beautiful pics !!! I love that "wall of windows" on your home. Good luck to you. Hope you find what you are looking for.

8. Administrator

Besides the beautiful lawn..My fav is the trees and the pond! You have beautiful trees. How big is that pond? Useful for fishing or ice skating in the winter?

Chuck

9. Country_Joe

from Indiana

The trees are all oak and hickory, with a maple down in front. Lovely but high maintenance.
    Tough to grow a lawn with the trees (shade) and hill. It is a challenge. The lawn is fescue.
    The lake is about 40 acres. Blue gill, bass, perch and crappie.
    I guess I need to learn to fish. When I get time,as I have plenty of now, I will tell you a story of how I caught a two pound bass without a pole last month. Also of the invasion of freshwater jelly fish. And the albino catfish. I love where I live. I thank the Lord daily.

Dennis

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

You would be "hired" down here ... we work still very much as Chuck described but I do have a detail crew which works on certain properties which the customer demands attention to "everything"

Sad to say but you would NEVER see health benefits ... we had to drop ours last year .... it just cost too much ... n NO part timers or seasonals would get it anyways .... it was cheaper for me to get it alone ..... than when covered under the group plan (blue cross blue shield) ....this is not to say larger outfits don't offer it .... as they do .... put I've never heard of part time getting it

I understand the law .... and I'm 42 myself ..... but as to where this next chain of thought is going .... understand ..... at 45 you'd be hard pressed to find an employeer whom is willing to hire someone whom is not a young buck .... and than part time .... also at 45 how long can I expect to have you work for me .. what's in it for me .... granted a great worker ( nice photos) ...for that I would be happy ....but even when we did offer health it was for full timers after 1 year ... when I hire an intelligent person .... I'm looking for long term growth within my own company ... someone to run a crew ...or even the whole deal before I'm 50 ..... you may be "over qualified" to work with a crew (not with physical experience but with great mental ability) .... so you may be more so qualified to help run an operation

I suppose what I'm saying is that if you do go to a larger operation who offers benefits ... what is going to motivate them to hire you .... as just a common worker .... they won't see that in you at 45 ... they'll be looking for someone to run a crew or division .....

I like Chucks final advice .... start your own deal .... work only jobs you wish ....at you pace .... think of the tax right offs you can get .... get insurance have your company offer it as a perk ..... good luck