MY ranger died on Friday.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lawn Masters, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I'm officially pi$$ed off. my 83 ranger decided to stop running on me on Friday, which royally pi$$ed me off. I know the problem is in the fuel system, either the pickup line is clogged or the pump is bad(shouldnt be, its brand new.

Its not getting fuel to the carb, I know that much for sure, it will run with gas poured down the throat of the carb though, so I dont get it. the specifics of the truck are it has a 2.3L inline 4 cylinder engine, 4 speed manual tranny, 2wd, and no AC. any help is appreciated. fuel pump on this model isnt electrical, its mechanical and mounted on the engine block.

2. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

make sure carb aint clogged... check fuel filter

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did the truck sit out for a while? I had an '84 F-150 that I got out of a guy's yard where it had sat for 5 years and it ran fine until some trash in the gas tank got in the fuel line and stopped it up. Ended up having to replace the gas tank (easier than trying to clean out the original) and new fuel lines.

Change your fuel filter first, then start going through fuel lines.

4. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

you can blow compressed air back thru the line to help clear it.

5. Lawn Masters

I had already checked the filter, which is actually AFTER the pump. that makes no sense to me. I'll probably wind up replacing the fuel pump and seeing how things go from there.

6. Lawn Masters

it is the fuel pump causing my problems, I guess I'll have to replace that and see how things go from there. then a new battery should help a whole lot.

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That is 22 years? How many miles you 've got on it? This is one heck of truck to be in service still...

8. Lawn Masters

Something like that, I think its actually an 82, but I'm not really sure what it is. its frustrating when I'm at autozone to get parts and I dont know what I need. its only got an actual mileage of 42K on it cause it was originally bought by a couple for travel and towed behind an RV, then a kid about my age, but a lot less careful got it, and basically blew the oil seals right out on it. its got a new water pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, oil seals, and head gasket on it. I even have the recipts to confirm it. the work was done back in March, but the parts arent covered under warranty now. I'm glad I trust the guy I got this thing from. at least he didnt totally screw me over, it just needs some work.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Did you change the fuel filter when you changed the fuel pump?If this is your second fuel pump replaced then I would say it's crap in the tank or dirty gas messing up the new pumps.Let the tank get low,drain it,remove it and clean it out .blow out your lines ,replace the fuel filter,install your new pump and put it all back together.
    I would say though IMO that it's a 22 year old Ford and it will now start to nickle and dime you to death,and never stop tell you get rid of it.
    Age is age and stuff will start to rot and fall apart no matter how many miles are on it.

10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gas tank and fuel lines would solve his problem and he could keep on truckin after. No need to get rid of a truck that is capable of 25mpg or better, regardless of age, especially with the way gas is these days.

We had a '85 Isuzu Pup that got 28-30 mpg and it only had 55k when it was sold last fall. Ran great, but sat for long periods of time. Had to have it flushed out a couple of times to get all the crap out. Ended up being a right good little truck though.