My referral plan. Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BAMARED, Apr 23, 2003.

1. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

I have a small community of town-homes to where I'm starting to offer $5 off the bill to any of my present customers who refers someone else living in these same set of town-homes and they start using me for the duration of the cutting season.

All of these homes have relatively small lawns - $30 average size. Therefore, if a present customer refers someone their $30 bill will go down to $25. If they refer (2) other people the bill goes down to $20 - all the way down to free. I'll gladly cut someone's lawn for free if they referred me (6) other active customers that will do business w/ me all year long.

What do you guys think of this strategy?

Thanks,

BAMARED

2. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not just do 1 free cut per referral, w/ unlimited referrals? Don't give all your money away or work for free for the year. Joel

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we offered a $20 "reward" for all referals. not one single person that we offered this to refered anyone. somehow i think its effects were adverse, though i fail to see why. not only did none of them refer us to anyone, none of them even signed up for service. im still wondering why:confused:

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

One free cut is actually giving away more than what Bama is offering. The way he has it it would take 5-6 referrals to give a current customer a free cut not just one referral.

Bama, I think your plan is good. I actually offered up to a $100 service credit to my cutomers this year depending on size of contract the referred.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

BAMARED, This sounds good I just have one question. Is this $5.00 off just for one cut or for the remainder of the season?

Gravely_Man

6. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Grave,

Are you kidding!? Ain't nobody going to do nothing for 5 bucks anymore. I'm talking about $5 off all their bills for the remainder of the season. If they know that for every referral that "comes aboard" with me they're going to get $5 taken off their bill for the remainder of the season, they have a much more vested interest in sending me some folks. You know that in the back of their head they're telling themselves, "Sure would be nice to have free grass cutting" and I'd be more than happy to do it for them. I feel that it's a win-win situation.

The power of networking can not be denied. It's right up there with compounded interest. And the best way to play the networking game is to have others sold on the fact that they are participating in something that's a "good deal" and there's something in it for themselves in return.

Thanks,

BAMARED

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, in that case I don't think I'd use a plan like that. Pretty generous down there in the deep south.

8. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

He-He-He! Thank you Scraper - Yes we are. Pretty good with mathmatics, too.

Thanks,

BAMARED

9. greensummer

greensummer LawnSite Member
    from canada

I gave 15 dollars per referal per visit.;)