1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"my regular lawn guy"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

This is always a funny one. I go to give a bid on some type of trimming, sod job etc. and mention the mowing service that I also offer. Then the customer says "we already have a mowing company, they just don't do trimming, or anything else". Some of these people cant even get their regular guy to do scalping. Yet this seems OK with them. LOL
  2. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I think it's funny to.Ive had a lot of people ask me how much extra to trim and edge when I give them a quote.Some of them act really excited when I tell them it's included in the price I quoted them.Ive even seen people suprised to hear I have my own my own hedge clippers.
  3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean, "scalping?" If you mean cutting it real real short, so they save money by not having you mow again for a month or more, I won't do it either. After mowing an old lady's yard last summer, she came out and asked, "Couldn't you cut it any shorter than that?" I had cut it the same height that I always cut it.
  4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Crawdad I have been in the same boat. For a couple of years I had a customer want me to cut the grass extremely short and I refused. We butted heads over it for a couple of weeks but the next year she was surprised her yard looked so good. For years she would have her yard "scalped" but now it is thick and green.
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

crawdad-scalping is a common practice in the spring with warm season grasses. Its like a dethacthing, cut it real low and it has to be bagged. It gets rid of the dead grass.
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

My parents and grandparents used a guy for YEARS who never had a string trimmer! He had a push mower and a blower.
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I did a seeding job last week and the woman told me she got her lawn guy to get the leaves up for me. He told her he could have seeded it for her. Her question to me was...Why didn't he say something about my terrible lawn before? He's been cutting it for years and its always looked that bad.

Too bad for him.
  8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, I can see doing it once, early in the season, but these people who want you to "mow it so it stays mowed" or to make it dry up so they can save money are really frustrating.
  9. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Crawdad, Scalping is a one time practice designed to remove the top layer of dormant growth associated with the warm season grasses in this area. During the "green" phase of growth, the lawns are maintained at regular cutting heights. Sorry if I was confusing.
  10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

It is not really too funny some of the things that people put up with and think they are getting "a deal." I to have gotten the response you have all of your own equipment? Some customers are clueless and have been taken to the cleaners by their previous lawn care company.