1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My response to a dealer comment

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by BigDave, May 16, 2003.

1. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

Since I bought my Lazer HP, my dad is now in the market for a ZTR. He's looking at Exmark, and a few competitors. One of the competitor dealers he visited lately told him "Future Exmarks are not going to have the great deck they still have because Toro wants more profit from them".

I told Dad to subtract points from this dealer because I very much doubt that his comments are grounded in truth -- I think Toro knows that much of Exmark's following is due to their decks. And it's not like Toro commercial ZTR decks cost any less to make -- they are every bit as heavy-duty as Exmark decks -- I saw that for myself -- they just have a different design (for one thing, they use tapered bearings which need to be greased).

Do you agree that this was an appropriate response?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Big Dave,

I'd say your evaluation was completely accurate. I don't know that our deck is any more expensive to build than most commercial decks. I suppose there are some out there that are less expensive to build but I don't know that I would consider them to be commercial or professional quality.

Our deck design has been a huge part of why we have had whatever degree of success we've had. Maybe our decks are more expensive to build; maybe we have less warranty claims on our decks. I don't know these numbers for our deck let alone someone else’s. I do know this.

I really like the way our deck holds up and performs. I really like the pride and craftsmanship that our welders, painters and assemblers put into them and also like how much testing we do with our own products.

I'd say our deck will probably be around just until we find a way to make it even better.

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

isn't the toro deck stamped vs the exmark being forged? i'll take the forged any day.
  4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The Exmark deck is fabricated. A fabricated deck is made from sheet steel that is welded together to form one large deck. In the case of our deck the top sheet is welded to the side skirts then several various forms of reinforcement are added through gussest, ribs, wear plates, bumpers, reinforcement rings around the cutter housing or with a large formed top sheet reinforcement plate used on the UltraCut decks.

Other decks are formed, drawn or stamped from a single sheet of stee/. Some others are a combination of both fabricated and stamped. Each has a place but we feel that the fabricated deck performs well for the majority of our customers.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Stamping and forging are basically the same thing. I think you mean a fabricated deck as opposed to a stamped.
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have both Exmark and Toro decks. The baffled Exmark gives an excellent cut. However, in heavy wet grass, I feel the "slicker", more open Toro SFS decks get the grass out faster and result in fewer clumps dropping out. Fewer nooks and crannies to get caught in, I guess.