my review of your Super surfer.

Discussion in 'Great Dane' started by 1stclasslawns, May 30, 2003.

1. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed a 54" 17 hp SS the past 2 days.

Nice machine. Cut well, a little under powered in heavy grass striped ok too. My aera dosn't stripe so it isn't a buying point for me. The controls were easy to use but a little uncomfortable for my guys and me as we are over 6 foot tall, they would be just right for guys a little shorter. After 'bout an hour our backs needed to be stretched out. I worked harder on it then I do on my Chariot.

The one thing I did NOT like is raising and lowering the deck, I do 60% apartment complexes and jump curbs and sidewalks and the deck would drag. I would put bolts in the top hole when I hopped a curb or trailered it. If I didn't it would drag.

It fit my operation about like O.J.s glove not relly fit but it would work.

It is my intention to get a Cheriot LX in the near future. I dont like where the switches are or the deck lift as well as on my "99 cheriot but I won't ever have one without the suspension seat.

Jim

2. John Joensen

John Joensen LawnSite Member

Naturalawn:

Thank You for considering Great Dane Products for your lawn care needs. We do make the model you demonstrated in a 23 HP Kawasaki. This option will make a BIG difference in heavy cutting conditions. As for the hydro control levers, I’m over 6-feet tall and I do not find the controls uncomfortable. There’s a learning curve with this type of system. It’s difficult to make a sound judgment by using the machine just for a day (if this is all you used it for). Regardless what brand you purchase, you will find this true. In addition, there’s also a learning curve when it comes to jumping curbs. Because our unit has a floating deck, it will climb curbs better than the competitors.

I highly recommend you spend more time getting use to the unit. Cutters consistently tell us that our Super Surfer is the most productive machine they have ever used. This machine saves time! How much time? As much as 30%. You owe it to yourself and the profitability of you company to consider these units. Ask your Great Dane dealer about our Time Study Program. This will be the true test for your company.

Please don’t hesitate to write me if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

John Joensen
    Sales and Marketing Manager
    Great Dane Power Equipment.

3. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Yep....it saves time alright. I have a large property that use to take me 4 hrs to cut with a 40" ztr, now only takes 2.5 hrs with the 52" SS.

4. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I took your recommendation I used it for another 3 days one week of mowing. Tes it is much faster then the 48" 14 hp John Deere wet disk walk behind I have. BUT IT IS IN NO WAY FASTER THEN THE CHARIOT I have had for 3 years.

After using it on all of my properties I have come to the same conclusion as before. You see gents I am in rural North Arkansas we have few LAWNS here we have YARDS. It is very rough on a person to try to ride one for several hours.

So that is why I told my mower shop to ORDER me a 61" LX that will be here tomarrow!!!

I am loyal to my mechanic he is great! The mower aint bad either!!

Truthfuly I think Great Dane is one of the top machines out there, if they wern't John Deere would not have felt az threat from them and bought them out.

Jim

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

In my eyes, it seems that the stander and surfer are not meant to replace ztrs, but rather be a more productive alternative to wbs. As you said, it is indeed more productive than your wb.

6. John Joensen

John Joensen LawnSite Member

Natural Lawn

Thank you for your business! We are confident you will like your new Chariot LX. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can ever be any assistance.

Regards,

John Joensen

7. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I have had my Super Surfer for 9 months and I love it. I don't want to sound like a sales person, but it has saved so much time from my walk behind that I joined the gym for something to do in my spare time. The only thing I have a hard time with is when I have to ride it for an hour. When I get off it my knees are a little stiff. But, as long as I keep my blades nice and sharp, the 23hp Kawi does a fantastic job. Oh yeah, and in thick grass, it leaves strips of clumped up grass. I run that over and thats it, no big deal.

8. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Naturalawn of course the ss is going to be a little more uncofortable than a ztr your standing aposed to sitting. You said that your back was sore arfter an hour on it. |I think the ss is targeted for small to medium lawns so maby a Smaller ZTR would be more suited for you. If I could get a surfer in Australia I would be using it for no longer than half an hour at a time on my residential run. As Mclawn co said these units are a more produtive alternative to WB's not ZTRs.