1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My Rig (Such as it is)

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by thebobcatkid86, Feb 27, 2007.

1. thebobcatkid86

thebobcatkid86 LawnSite Member

Just a few pics of me and my machine. My mom's (yes I'm admiting it) 2002 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V-6 stick shift, my 2001 Bobcat 453 F-Series and my restoration project trailer. I built the lights and cheater boards for the trailer, I also replaced the hitch (photos coming) and am I planning on having it sandblasted and repainted CAT yellow.

2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow that trailer fit's your Bobcat just right i guess.
    Does the tailgate fold up?
    What kind of work do you do with that machine?
  3. ASBK

ASBK LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

That is a neat little machine! How much dose one of those cost? Is it new or used? How wide is it? How much dose it weigh? How do you secure it when its in the trailer?
  4. thebobcatkid86

No that piece is fixed. I was thinking about making it fold, but I couldnt quite engineer how to make a hinge mechanism that would be sturdy enough to handle the loader. As for what I do, the answer is just about anything it can... shovel gravel, tear out driveways, remove old sod, dig and grade for patios, backfill waterproofing dig outs... and that was just a couple of months of last year. The only things that bug me are the facts that I cant load a full size dump truck (although with an ejector bucket I probably could) but F-350 to F550s are ok as are most dump trailers, and the footprint is so tiny that with the arms all the way up it feels really top heavy (that maybe true of all skid steers though, I dont know).
  5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are the specs:

Length with Standard Bucket: 100.5 in (2553 mm)
    Width (with bucket): 36 in (914 mm)
    Height: 71.4 in (1814 mm)
    Height to Bucket Hinge Pin: 94.5 in (2399 mm)

Operating Weight: 2708 lbs (1228 kg)

So the weight would JUST fit a 3500lb axle trailer. I have my eye out for one of these too.

6. thebobcatkid86

Actually its closer to 2500 lbs. If you look at the historical specs its not as high HP either. Mine is 15.7 HP and the new 463 is 22.4 or something like that. The book says it'll lift 700lbs but Ive moved boulders Im sure weighed more than that. New pricing I believe is around $15.5k depending on options, but I happened upon this one for $7250 with less than 700 hours when I bought it.
  7. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

That looks really good, hows that dakota handle it?
  8. thebobcatkid86

As for tying it down... I use 3/8 GR70 chains and ratchet binders. Its overkill for 2500 lbs I know. I actually used to use 3" nylon binder straps but after a few months they started to fray so I went all out.
  9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

ah didn't know they were that much differen't.

10. thebobcatkid86

It handles sweetly. You know it's there but it doesnt feel straining on the truck. Its a V-6 so its a little sluggish on hills and I cant use overdrive on the freeway as much as without it but it doenst really feel taxing or anything.