My ryobi grass trimmer mod 875r idles but will not run at speed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tune53ok, Oct 13, 2005.

1. tune53ok

tune53ok LawnSite Member

My unit will idle but when you hit the throttle, it dies. Spark plug, fuel, lines and fuel filter are fine. Cleaned the air filter and the oil. It will start, but when I pull the trigger for acceleration it dies, no matter where I have the choke set.

I did replace my upper shaft assembly a couple of months ago. Could this be a problem with the clutch? Does this model Ryobi have an automatic cutoff if the clutch does not engage?

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Don't know about any kind of auto cutoff if a clutch is not engaged on any sort of stick machine, but likely you have one of three things going on. A) a plugged air filter B) a plugged exhaust/spark arrestor screen or C) your carb is out of adjustment either running too lean or too rich, starving/flooding the engine. Refer to your manual on adjustment screw settings for your machine and check the exhaust side.

3. dlh2

dlh2 LawnSite Member
    from Pace Fl

It's a clogged spark arrestor screen. Just remove it.

4. douglasldennison

douglasldennison LawnSite Member

I have a similar problem. My trimmer will start with the choke on, but it runs roughly, and the instant I engage the throttle, it dies. Where's this spark arrestor I'm reading about, and I can't figure out how to clean the exhaust. Would appreciate anyhelp.:confused:

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Gas today is a garbage mix. Ethanol in gasoline causes a lot of problems in small engines. Of which, melting plastic lines are the greatest. I'd almost bet that you have a comprised fuel line somewhere. I hope not but sounds like it. There's enough fuel for idle but not for a revved engine. In the future always used ethanol free high test gasoline on any small engine. It's a compression factor.

6. ksJoe

ksJoe LawnSite Senior Member

In addition to the things already mentioned...

Dump the gas and mix fresh (preferably with no alcohol/ethanol if its available in your area).

Grab the string head (what holds the string and does the trimming), and make sure it turns. If its bound up, you might not have an engine problem. i.e. when it revs and the clutch engages, it can't turn it so, it dies.

Also, the high speed port on the carb could be plugged. You can take the carb apart and spray carb cleaner through all the ports and put it back together. Also you can check ebay for a replacement carb. I got one for my ryobi for around $8 or $9 shipped. But eliminate the other possibilities first.