1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My Scag 36 Died today

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by richk, May 17, 2008.

1. richk

richk LawnSite Member

I was finishing a cut with my Scag model (SW36 13KA, Kawasaki 12.5hp motor) and after stalling once and re-starting, it worked for 20 more minutes, it died again and would not re-start.

The fuel filter is clean, I replaced the spark plug but after it still would not start I noticed there was no spark coming from the plug.

Any ideas on how I can get this thing going. I never had a problem before.
    Back in the late 1980s a newspaperman visiting the Oakland Raiders football training camp in California had just returned from the Jack London Historic Monument. He read a sample of London’s prose to the Raiders’ colorful quarterback, Ken “The Snake” Stabler

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by rot!

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”

The newspaperman asked the quarterback, “What does this mean to you?”

“Throw deep,” said Stabler!
  2. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey rich, sounds (to me) like an electrical problem... maybe a broken and/or disconnected secondary wire. on that engine (12.5 kawi), right side of the block just below the (red or black) shroud, is a small, thin, square resistor. make sure the wire is connected and it is secured firmly (grounded)... if so, work your way around the harness looking for cracked and/or broken wires. it is a good possibility the coil has taken a dump and needs to be replaced. hope this helps. good luck. have a good one.
  3. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey rich, i forgot to include yesterday, if all else checks out and you feel it may be the coil... check the magnet on the flywheel and the contacts of the coil. many times both will get rusty enough to simulate coil failure and just by cleaning up and correctly gapping, you'll once again have spark. good luck. have a good one.