my scag w/b wont shift gears

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by befnme, Aug 2, 2005.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

it started today it wont shift gears with the top tranny housing on but if i take it off i can shift the gears,it is a little hard to move but it will.everything inside is intact.......????????????????im lost now.

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

If it is the Peerless/Techumseh 5-speed, there is an adjustment. It takes an allen wrench. It faces the operator, right under the shifting lever. Turn the screw outwards, a 1/4 turn at a time. Try it with the motor running, everytime that you adjust the screw 1/4 turn. Behind the screw is a spring and a ball bearing. The little ball is held up against the indentations on the shifting lever. Be Careful when adjusting this. A little at a time is all that is needed. You don't want to unscrew it all the way and lose it. Play with it, just a little at a time. Let us know how you make out.

3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a power washing problem.

Oldtimer

4. befnme

thanks ill try it

5. befnme

what do you mean?

6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

He means you got water inside the trans case.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Do the adjustment as Jim described, If that doesn't do it remove the set screw spring and ball and check for rust, pits or flat spots on the ball, Also check the indentations on the shift fork they my be worn too deep causing the ball to hang up. Also with the top off and the ball out you can pull the shift fork out to clean and lube it.

8. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

And, finally, load that tranny up with Bentonite Grease. Your lawnmower shop stocks it, or can get it for you. It comes in a squeeze-type tube.

9. befnme

the grease is brown and kind of gummy like water has gotten into it.that maybe it!!

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well if thats the case clean as much of the old grease out as possible and repack as Jim stated.