My Seeding Plan Massachusetts Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DieselMDX, Apr 30, 2013.

1. DieselMDX

DieselMDX LawnSite Member
    from MA

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread i really appreciate it.

I am going to keep reading and see if I can get this all nailed down.

Cobra IMO that lawn looks amazing

I can set my irrigation to any time that is needed i am not concerned about that.

What i am concerned about is if i should use the aeration technique of seeding or slice seeder. My local true value has both so i can rent either one of them.

I do not want to sound pig headed but all things considered money is not the most important factor. I spend my off days outside all day perfecting my yard I just want the best damn yard on the block.

2. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Keep on researching, you can never learn enough! I'm still learning everyday and as I said, there's more than one way to do something - there's no "be all and end all" in the world of lawn care.;)

With that being said, slice seeding is the most effective way to get seed into your lawn. The machine will cut grooves into the soil and deposit the seed within those grooves, allowing the soil to contact the seed on 3 sides. If will also remove some thatch and leave it on the surface to help cover the seed, increasing the chances of better germination as the seed will be encapsulated in some areas. If you go this route, make sure that you slice seed those areas in both directions to create a "cross hatch" pattern.

Good luck!

3. DieselMDX

DieselMDX LawnSite Member
    from MA

ok thanx cobra i will reserve the slice seeder today

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Funny .... because I just put some seed down on several different properties and instructed the homeowners to water once a day for 10 mins (rotors on clay loam) and temps in the 80's and 90's and I have germination. The OP has temps in the 60's.

You suggested 15 mins 3 times a day with temps in the 60's without even knowing what type of sprinklers the guy has. If I have a PR of 1.5 in/hr and an ET of 0.12 in/day .... how much have you over watered?

Again .... why not? How much water do you need to apply to keep seed moist? What type of soil is the OP dealing with? Have you considered diurnal movement of water in the soil? What is the soils water holding capacity? What is the exposure and aspect of the site?

Everything. No consideration for soil type, no consideration for seasonal growth patterns. Anyone can throw a bunch of nitrogen at a lawn and make it look good .... temporarily.

What coolaid have you been drinking HC? Why do you assume there is going to be weeds? Is using Tupersan/Siduron the only way to deal with weeds?

Will he? Without knowing historical weed pressure on the site you are just guessing

Actually HC, is is mostly because of disease pressure and insufficient time for the new turf to harden off before summer temps.

That is pure BS ..... and FYI he is over seeding. Are you a rep or something for these products?

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Composted and over seeded on a yearly basis .... no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers for the entire season to the date of that pic and deficit irrigated. In fact ... no synthetic ferts of any kind for several years, and no pesticides for probably more than 5 years.

[​IMG]

6. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

Where is district 9? I assume this is TTTF?

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

District 9 is a movie .... and yes, TTTF in a Mediterranean environment.

8. maynardGkeynes

In that movie, did they happen to mention what USDA zone they were in?

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

............... 9

10. maynardGkeynes

I'm impressed. Great looking turf, with minimal inputs. Good work bud.