My Shop?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JRSlawn, Jan 15, 2007.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I wanted to see how many people in this industry rent a building. Also what the cost of the rent and utilites are. I have a small shop I am renting now (30x20 for 200.00 per month) but am looking to have my shop and house all in one place. How many of you think this is a good idea? I am looking at it as I can wake up and go right to the shop and office no more getting in the car driving 35 minutes to my shop. It will also be nice in the winter my salt and trucks will be all in my back yard wake up walk out back and go to work. I also am kind of thinking it may not be a good idea becasue when I go home I like to be away from work until the next morning. Tell me what you guys think on this one:confused:

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I like having the business out of my house. But I have thought about getting a place sometime in the future. It sounds like you want it at your house more than you want it down the road. Plus you'll save more than $200 a month (after rent and utilities). It is also easier to keep an eye on your equipment.

3. JRSlawn

That is kind of what I figure I know 200 is a hell of a deal but I like to work when I want and if I want to work after 5:00 I feel it would be nice to have things in my backyard.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I personally would not like to have company over and be staring at trucks, and machinery. I rent a shop and yard from a buddy of mine and I'm paying about $900. a month.

5. JRSlawn

papote that brings up a very good point. My idea would be put up the shop on the back of the property park all trucks behind the building and maybe put up a privacy fence. I would also like to have a few small bins brown and black mulch and paver base and sand. Also a area to dump yard waste. I am also thinking I could talk to my salesmen and see what kind of deal I could get on thier product and set up a real nice display waterfall pond paio deck fire pit the works. I think that would be a great tool to sell jobs I hate when a potenial client says can we see some of your jobs then you have to call your customers set up a time it sucks. Just my thoughts.

6. JRSlawn

I am looking somewhere at about 6 acres plenty of room for a home and shop with out feeling like you are in a junk yard or something.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I can understand you wanting a lot fo room but 6 acres seems like overkill to me. To large of a payment unless you truely need it. JMO

8. JRSlawn

Joe,
    I have allways wanted to have some land all my life I grew up in the city on a nice 25,000 sq2 lot. I want to sit back off the road quite a bit and then have roon behind that for my shop. Also allot of room for me to play with new products and setup show areas so I can educate my clients on new products and our work overall.

9. Throgmorton

Throgmorton LawnSite Member

I rent a shop that is 24 X 60. It's actually a shed on a larger building. Fully enclosed, insulated and a concrete floor with a door on each end so I can drive thru. $200 per month. Plenty of parking with plenty of space for mulch and a brush pile. I'm in a rural area though.

10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I am working on having my house with the shop in a corner of the second acre.

Tree site barrier inbetween the two and cameras wired so I know what is going on without actually seeing the equipment every time I look out the window.

Then, get/rent a seperate sales area for pavestone, waterscape, lighting, holiday lighting demo sales area.

Tim