My site

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by PestPro, Sep 11, 2008.

1. PestPro

PestPro LawnSite Member

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think I'd say to call 24 hours ... !!

3. cbscreative

cbscreative LawnSite Member

I'm not saying this to be mean, but simply giving you my first impression as a potential customer. It immediately strikes me as "homemade" which would cause me to leave. Even though you are a pest control, having all the creepy crawlies and rodents is another reason to leave. Even if I stick around to read the text, it does nothing to stand out or persuade me.

OK, that's not a good reaction, but pehaps this will help. Instead of showing me the problem which I already know about if I were looking for you, I want to know the solution. Think about visual elements that reinforce the peace of mind knowing that all those pests are gone. If you find all your local competition all saying or doing about the same thing, then that is exactly what not to do. The purpose of a web site is to stand out, not blend in or mimic.

I think your Don't wait till you see pests... line has some good potential, but in keeping with the advice given above to 86 all the pest/rodent images, you could step that up several levels by going with something more creative. Since creative is what I do, here's one I came up with quickly, and could improve more with extra thought. Something like, "See any pests here? Good. Since you don't want to see them either...contact us."

When someone sees one of your service vans and checks your web address, you want the site to generate response. One problem with the DIY approach is that you are too close to create the site objectively. Hiring a good web designer who understands marketing will yield a far better success rate. I would emphasize that "understands marketing" part again because the vast majority of web designers sell on price and know very little about marketing. Their work may look nice, but there are tons of nice looking sites that make little or no money.

You said yourself in another thread that just putting up a web site does not create success. You were very correct on that. A good site involves planning, strategy, marketing, persuasive writing specifically tailored to the web, and a professional look. To accomplish all of these requires on of two options: either hire someone who already knows what they are doing, or be ready for a huge learning curve.

I know I pointed out some problem areas, but I hope my suggestions put you on the path to solving those problems.

4. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

You could use a professional copy writer; agreed. Looks home-made and is another 800x600...

Mainly in my browser the part under "Experienced since 1984" is like 2 lines of text on top of each other. I can't read it at all, just looks like a mess.
    Didn't look past that, I would leave as soon as I hit that part...and being big & blue it kind-of jumps out.

5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Change referrals to testimonials..

otherwise it seems like you are asking me to refer someone?

6. PestPro

PestPro LawnSite Member

Steve...Thank you for your input, but if you look at the bottom of my pages, ATT Yellow pages actually made my site. I am getting lots of hits on it, but no calls...I wish there was some way I could get out of my contract it sucks

7. PestPro

PestPro LawnSite Member

Just to let you all know. I appreciate your input........good or bad...but if you look at the bottom of all the pages, the site was designed by ATT.yellowpages.com, and I cant say I like it to much either, but I am kind of stuck with it for a year. I wish I could get out of the stupid contact with them. DO NOT HIRE ATT!!!!!...I am getting lots of click but NO calls.

8. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I see some good and some bad. I may bookmark that and check it right before each meal. Some of those photos would make me lose my appetite which could be a good thing.

It does make you seem like you know the problem. The proof reading was rather poor like when it says. "Monthly Pest Control, Semi-Annual and Quarterly" Saying "Monthly, Quarterly and Semi-Annaul Pest control" would have been much better. I am sure you put your thoughts down on paper and we write what comes into our mind. It was their job to fix that.

I like it in some ways but it could be a lot better. Give them a teaser to encourage them to call and to let you know they were driven to you by the site. For example instead of September special $ 30.00 off, make it, Print this coupon for a $ 30 discount or print this coupon for a free estimate.

9. cbscreative

cbscreative LawnSite Member

Yikes! You hired it done, yet it struck me as a "Look ma, I did it myself" site. I'd be demanding a refund, or at least be able to get out of the contract. I hope you at least own the domain name (these deals often hold that hostage too). If your name is not on the domain name as the "registrant" I would be looking at your legal options since you are either stuck with this deal for life, or forced to walk away before investing any more energy into something you have no control over. This is the kind of stuff you see on www.rip-offreport.com (which maybe they are, I didn't check).

10. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

How much are you paying? I see they've gotten the site a page rank of 3, that's got to be good for SEO right? I talked to Yellowpages.com today on the phone and they wanted over $80 a month for a preferred listing.