My Situation

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rvincent, Feb 21, 2007.

1. rvincent

rvincent LawnSite Member

First ide like to say i love this site. Ive been reading it for about a month now.

Im 19 years old. Ive been mowing lawns since I was 12. I have a Exmark turf tiger 48" wb, gmc serria 1500 w/ 7.5' western, and mis. trimming equipment. I still live at home, parents charge very cheap rent and I currenty have very little debt (small loan on one of my cars) Im looking to start a full time lawn care, landscape and handyman business. I have a few people that I work for now that keep me pretty busy on my nights and weekends. (anything from reqrouting tile, mowing, cutting trees, landscaping, carpentry, minor electrical, doing insulation, ive done all kinds of stuff)

What makes this complicated: I have a good and pretty easy corporate job making about 40k a year. I have very good benefits and like what I do and the people i work with. I absolutely love being outside, mowing, plowing and fixing things not to mention being my own boss and making good money while doing it. I have the knoledge and resources to go out on my own, but I dont quite have the client base yet. What do you guys think i should do? What do you guys do for health insurace? How much is your business insurace? Sorry this is a little bit of a runon, but I have a lot of questions.

Thanks for you input.
  2. dewos

dewos LawnSite Member

It depends what type of insurance you want. You can go with 100K, 300K 500K, or 1 million. All different but with everything your doing, for your insurance will be more expensive. I paint and cut and mine is around 700 for one million (per year). I would call up an agent and talk to them let them give you some quotes.
  3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep the day job.
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

plus 19.... what would you be making there when your 45........ it will be a long time till you make that kind of money .... id keep the day job, and buy a boat or something and enjoy the summer.....:drinkup:
  5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

What corporate job do you have at 19 with no education making 40k? Just curious
  6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking the exact thing.
  7. LeifGreen

LeifGreen LawnSite Member

It depends on how bad you want to start your own business. if you want it bad enough and you just work on getting you name out you will do fine! put business card out and go to nieghborhoods and just go hand out fliers, do it when the most people are home like staurday afternoon! and most of all be proffesional and do good work! just my .02!
  8. rvincent

rvincent LawnSite Member

tech school education in real estate (started taking classes my last year in highschool) Job is in the apprasial field.

Thanks for the replies. keep em comming. was anyone else in this situation?
  9. rvincent

rvincent LawnSite Member

dont tempt me with that boat comment, ive wanted my own for a while. For now i just go out on my buddies now and then.