1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My small mulch job

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by clean_cut, Mar 13, 2010.

1. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks man, I didn't know that about the tree, so it needs to be an inch or two away from the trunk?

Yeah I should have edged first, but I just wanted to get the mulch down quick, I'll try to put up some pictures of the edging soon.

How do you guys edge? I've seen many ways such as...

Use an edger/shovel to make a cut along the outside edge of the bed, and use a shovel to make an angeled cut from the bed to the edge.

Use an edger/shovel twice around the bed to make a strip about 2" wide and pull it out of the ground to make a trench.

So, whats your personal favorite/most efficent way to edge
  2. SuperiorService.110mb.com

SuperiorService.110mb.com LawnSite Member

I can't even begin to tell you how much it bothers me when I see some company doing a mulch job and they mound the mulch against the trees and plants. Or the much is higher than the pavement.:hammerhead:
  3. SOSman

SOSman LawnSite Member

Just wondering...did you do anything to all that grass before you put down the mulch?
  4. gardiner

gardiner LawnSite Member

i use an edge/shovel to make like a trench . deepness depends on the amount of mulch i plan on putting down .
    as far as a tree ring i like to use my edge/shovel with tape to use as a measure guide to keep from getting an egg shape around the tree it seem to help train my son how to do a tree ring .
    as i mulch around the tree i tamp along the trunk of tree with my hands pulling the mulch back a inch or 2 . leaving just enough to color .
    i have seen where some company in my area that will have a mountain around the trees . looks to me like the tree still in the nursery .
  5. chrissmart123

chrissmart123 LawnSite Member

6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

7. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks so much gain guys, you've provided me with so much knowledge through this site.

God Bless you all
  8. 05 superduty

05 superduty LawnSite Member

Im really not being a dick but sometimes its better to work for a well established company for a while before going out on your own. How are you gonna put down mulch and not put a nice deep edge with an edger shovel first? Again, not bein a dick but i wouldnt even post those pics. Luckily for us every year theres about 30 new landscapers in the area and by the end of that same year about 29 of them get "weeded" out. :hammerhead:
  9. Crash

Crash LawnSite Member

Here's what we use.

Bed Edger.jpg