1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My soap box

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Mar 23, 2005.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I have noticed lately that a lot of people are short with their tempers. A lot of other people are giving advice that they THINK is right but dont know for sure. I am tired of the "are you licensed" responses. Help these guys that are new to the industry. That is why I came here to get help as I started my business last April.

Is everyone getting antsy to start the season and taking out their frustations on this site and each other?

It seems to me that we are seeing less and less of some of our more knowledgeable members around here. Many of you know who I am talking about, James C, Tremor, Hamons, Coastal Greenscapes. Some come in once in a while, others not at all.

This is no slight on those that are still here, Williams, qps, ric etc. If I did not mention you I am sorry, I didn't start this to be a Who's Who list.

I am just a little bothered by what I am seeing here lately. A lot of people really just giving a quick 2 cents without any thought, bashing each other, for no or very little reason. I don't have a lot of posts on this board for a variety of reasons. Work and family limitations, first. Next is the fact that before I post, I ask myself, can I really help or contribute to this post? If I can add something I double check and make sure that what I am saying is accurate.

Before this gets really long winded, consider that this message board is read by a great number of people in and out of the industry. Some may be your competetion or local guys. You would be surprised at who comes here to browse. Think about how we would come across from someone who doesn't come here often or know the industry. Sometimes it seems like we are a bunch of babbling idiots at midnite fighting over the last beer in the fridge.

Some one please tell me that I am wrong in my assessment and that we are losing good people. That it is just a case of spring fever and everyone is going nuts b/c we are going to get more snow tonite.

Thank you for "hearing" rant......
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

There are posts about this on other subjects.

I'm sure everyone is still here, just as I am, but .....

1) Without it being TRULY lawn season, I'm busy with other things, and therefore not focused on these issues right now.

2) I, as you, get tired of the same posts over and over and over and over and the same response of "get a license" over and over and over and over, usually by the same people with 20-30 posts, that come across as having seen and read ALL responses on this sight.

3) You'll have people taking vacations, running around to all the open houses vendors are having, etc.

NOW, I realize that this is what keeps a forum like this going, it's what's going to happen.

Just because some of us people that aren't usually here aren't posting, doesn't mean they aren't reading the boards.

They'll posts once there's something they think they need to post about.
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Noticed the same here. I think its been the long winter and people ready to get back to work. It does get tired answering and seeing the same general/broad questions over and over ... How much do you charge?, how many a day can you do? etc. I agree if someone does not want to help, they should not even bother answering. Funny to see the same guys always answer with a smart azz comment that would take longer than just answering the guys question.
  4. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

I think some people come to these types of sites for easy answers. People need to discover how to think and learn on their own. Especially when it comes to the fert & squirt end there often is not the easy answer to a question. You need an education and experience.

No doubt, I don't like seeing the "get a license response" over and over again but can't you understand why people feel that way? These questions can be answered by some research rather than asking us pros. If after reseaching a topic you still have questions then ask. This is not the place to start your research. Yes, there is such a thing as a dumb question despite what your teacher told you.
  5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been a member of this forum since the day after it was started, and a member of its predecessor site. I was actually searching newsgroups 10-15 years ago, when the web was just a baby, for communication with others in the trade. I remember when the etiquette of a bulletin board required that you read the FAQ and searched the older posts before you asked a question. If you did not avail yourself of the already posted material and asked a repetitious question, you would be instantly and justifiably flamed (scolded) by a veteran member.

I have seen dozens of intelligent, experienced operators in various segments of the green industry join this and other sites, and quickly leave because of the idiotic comments and repetition. I know of people very successful in the green industry who advise their employees not to peruse online lawn forums, because of the disinformation on them.

As far as pesticide discussions, in my state you need to be licensed in a special category to instruct others in use of particular pesticides for particular pests. While this requirement is not strictly enforced, I do not want to communicate details about pesticides to any joe blow yard boy. Joe blow can read my answer, true, but I hope that pushes him to learn and get licensed to help himself advance.

For the new guys, myself and many others have answered almost every common question in the past, and we're not going to type the same answer over and over. I see 10-20 questions a day that I know the answer to, but I have already posted those answers, so I ignore the thread.

To joe blow yard boy, and sincere novices: there are no silver bullets, knowledge will answer your questions. And a lot of the advice you get for free is usually worth just what you paid for it.

P.S. I'll never post these thoughts again on this type of thread (of which there are dozens on this board), because they are already stated here.
  6. turf hokie

I appreciate the responeses. The above quote is what I see a lot of. I am here a lot, but don't post very often b/c of this very thing. I know it is almost time to start our rounds, and it has been a long extended winter. I am just frustrated with the same old questions and the same old answers. I would almost rather see a thread ignored if the answer is "get a license". If you are in the green industry you must have seen or heard some where that a license, insurance etc is required for most everything we do.

AHHH maybe I too am getting cabin fever. I have gotten some good advice here. If you can pick through the muck to get to the good answers. I was just getting the feeling that maybe we were losing focus and going down the road of high school sophomores instead of the professional road.

Thanks for letting me rant and answering me.
  7. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Off topic but have you had a chance to test you PG unit since repairs, they have mine now doing a refurbishing...it ought to be interesting when it gets back :)
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Don't feel too bad. History repeats itself. I have been here just a little bit less than my friend Jim who accurately posted thoughts of many old members.

The other thing is that this board is open to everyone who can do a google search. +25,000 registered members and potentially everyone in the world can view. Your feelings have been recorded in the past by many members, myself included. It is just a different day.
    What I am saying is that this happens every year, the conversations are cyclical. In late winter everyone is antsy and you get the what do I buy, how do I charge threads and the I'm sick of snow threads-lots of them. Then spring comes and you get the customer stories and the I'm swamped stories adn the what do I charge threads. Summer comes and there is the drought stories and the burnt lawn stories and the what do I charge threads. Fall is the bag or mulch leaves questions and what blower is best threads and what do I charge threads. Then winter sets in, man do I miss lawn threads and do you salt and what plow is best and what do I charge threads.

Sorry for ranting but I have seen it every year for 5 years and I am glad there is a site to at least talk about it. With the explosive population of the site comes many differen personalities. Some come and go some just cause trouble and go. You just have to suck it up and find out who you can trust and who is Full of Shite, to put it bluntly.

I have to go now. BTW did I tell you that I can't wait to get out and mow. :waving:
  9. turf hokie

Well, I am not going anywhere, if any cares. I was just hoping that we weren't losing a bunch of senior members that have helped me. In my area very few people can give good advice, that is why I come here. Those that have the knowledge are afraid the next guy will steal work from them. Without this site a lot of my questions would not have been answered.
    Thanks for all of you guys who made a guy who is still fairly new feel better about the seasonality of this site.

I have not had the pg on a lawn yet. I prepped it and was planning on taking it for a test run but..........we got 3 inches of snow last nite. I saw grass and now it is gone again. Maybe next week. I was hoping to start my round next week.
    What are they doing with your unit? Just curious if they are doing the same to yours as they did with mine and another LCO's here.
  10. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Not.sure.....just going through the whole thing and fixing anything that needs it...I think....Haven't heard from them...so I'll see....I've already ran 1-1/2 skids of Pre-m in the z-max :)