My son wants to

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadsLawn, Sep 16, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow yards like his daddy. I told him I dont want him to. I want him to learn computer programming or something to do with computers.
    But I told him I will support what ever he wishes. Again he wants to mow yards. Well or be a sprint car driver.
    hes almost 11 and mows my yard (21") when he comes over. Im sure he can get a few houses wround here to mow to make some play money.

My main question is, what age should I let him do this. Hes very smart and very safe.. This is kinda funny. But when he mows here, he wears jeans t-shirt his little work boots and wears my clear grinding full face shield. He tries to use the hand held blower, but its still alittle heavy for him..

Oh I pay him $5 per cut, ONLY if it looks decent. If not I show him what he missed and he will fix it.

2. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya, I have a 9 year old son that wants to do the line trimming at our house, I let him but I walk with him.
    I think I was about 12 when I started mowing our lawn, my grandmothers and a few mor here and there by myself. Keep an eye on him and if he's being safe, knows the rules and follows them, cut him a little slack.

If he's not behind the mower...it's OFF!!!

3. ChadsLawn

The push mower we use, If you let go it shuts of. So not matter whatever hes does, he'll have to let it go. Im looking into a small trimmer, so he can learn that(around the house here)

4. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

dude thats a little harsh $5 give him 10 so he can save up for somthing when i was that age i was mowing my grandmothers lawn and i got a gift. or somthin. like ice cream or somthing and somtimes i got $10. but i hope u dont take it the wrong way man. but then telling him where he missed. w/e i dont want to tell u how to give your kid money or somthin. you could always get him into masonry and try to get him in a trade school. but maybe he can just do it till he goes to colledge.

5. zim bob the landscaper

get him a battery one which is made for older people i guess there really light to.

6. ChadsLawn

Im being alittle harder on him, because Im hoping he changes his mind on a career in lawn mowing. But so far he's loving it.

7. zim bob the landscaper

o i get u. so its backfired on you. :laugh:

8. ChadsLawn

yeah so far it has. But when he goes to work with me, its not soo fun. I have him pulling weeds and he isnt liking that. As I try to explain to him thats involved in Lawn Maintenance.

9. ADVANCED LAWNCARE LLC.

ADVANCED LAWNCARE LLC. LawnSite Member

Is there a reason you don't want him to be in the Lawn Care Business. Is it the low pay? I dont know about your area, but around here you can make a very good living being in this industry, granted you must do many other things like landscaping, plowing, fert/squirt to stay competitive. If he really enjoys doing it, let him go to school for it and he will learn alot about the business, and will have already had a lot of the hands on part done.

10. ChadsLawn

No I want my kids to have the best and be able to provide the best for there kids. I want them to have a good career and be able to retire. But if this is what he really wants to do in life, then Ill help all I can.

Hes always wanted to be a race car driver... Although pretty dangerous, he can make a ton more then lawn maintenance. Plus privide a great life for his kids. But Im wanting him to get into the computer world. Thats where the money is. I can program, I can build in depth websites, graphics. But everyone wants a dagree. Im not going to collage for something I already
    know.
    Computers will be the way of life 100% in the future. Thats what our kids need to be in.

But right now he is set on lawn maintenance. So I will teach him all I can while he is young.