My St. Augustine grass needs help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by joshehansen, Jul 15, 2012.

1. joshehansen

joshehansen LawnSite Member

Just moved into a house whose previous owners apparently turned off the lawn irrigation system a month or two ago - which is a problem, as we are in central Texas (Fort Hood). My St. Augustine grass looks salvageable in about 90% of the lawn, but there are significant brown or mostly brown patches (primarily in the high-sun areas). How best to start rehabilitating it? I'm currently watering twice a week for 30 minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Get a rake and clean up some of the dead stuff, water and fertilizer but only light apps of N. Bad time to apply N to ST A.

3. My vote, re-sod those areas. Weeds will fill those spots way faster than the st aug. once crabgrass, dallisgrass, goosegrass, and/or Bermuda join the party, it will be a bigger problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Burnie

Burnie LawnSite Member

I agree with the re-sod, if it is bigger than a dinner plate area, I would re-sod. JMHO

5. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I am for sod also given the size, but you could also do plugs most likely cheaper, rake out the old stuff first, place topsoil/compost/sand around to give the stolens a place to reach over and spread with ease. Have you check irrigation to ensure you are getting good coverage in those areas?

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Make big plugs by chopping sod pieces into sixths or eighths. Topdress with compost. A good dose of potash and water, water, water. Worry about the weeds later.
    Posted via Mobile Device