My start plan - Advise? Anyone Start like this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jaswir, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Jaswir

Jaswir LawnSite Member

I have been reading, and learning on this site... im going to be starting my own lawn care business soon! I wanna only do lawns starting out and no landscaping..

More then likly it will be next year before i start. I am going to be starting out real small. I will be solo maybe or a friend help every once in awhile.

Im gonna get INC and get license, also insured..

Plan on selling my mustang to get a nice reliable truck for the job

gonna buy two small push mowers (all i can afford)
    edger
    weed wacker
    backpack blower

etc...

i don't plan on starting with a trailer due to the fact i will not have enough money (but i might when i start just depending)

As for advertisement i wanna put a local ad in the paper... FLYER alot and do walk ups and give bids on the spot... That worked for a friend of mine... i wanna start fulltime and just try to get about 20-30 small houses to mow maybe more just depending on how i DO...

i am 22 hard working person... Gonna invest just about every extra penny i make so i can upgrade my mower and get a trailer ASAP... i will be able to work all year round just about because i live in Orlando, FL

I know this is kinda crazy starting this way, but this is what i wanna do... I like mowing and would love to be my own boss! So any info tips would help from you big guys (Pros)

2. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Well let me give you some advice from a guy who tried to start similar to the way your stating. IT JUST WONT WORK been there tried that failed, I know thats hard to hear because someone told me the same thing,and I did not want to hear it either. So this is what I experienced,ran out took the only $ I had bought a 48 inch gravely w/b(pos) always breaking down in the middle of accounts,didn't have the extra in the bank to afford proper repairs. Truck w/ no trailer not fun at all. home owner small equipment always breaking down(all I could afford) in middle of jobs. With those push mowers your going to be killing your self in this THICK WET st aug grass, and those mowers wont hold up for more than a few months. Then you have your REAL LCO w/nice commercial grade equipment professional truck/trailer running circles around you. I don't know what your living expenses are but 20-30 accounts that can be mowed w/2 push mowers ain't going to pay for squat in Orlando. So to MAKE ANY $$$ AT ALL your going to have to charge a little more $$. Then that real lco going to move in and cut your price because he has the ability to do the same work in half the time just the reality of it.

Don't take this the wrong way not saying give up,but your going to need more money invested. It takes money to make money sucks but its true. So try to find a good place to work making $$ save much as possible maybe even still mow like you wanted to on your days off for extra $$$. I know its hard but I'm just giving you my experience I know advice sometimes is hard to take but just trying to help.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Marks fan is very right,
    Do you know what a business plan is about and what it includes,
    That should be your first job. spend a month or so just doing the research and writing the plan.-- If you need help with that ask here and in the business forum.

Now for the part of your plan that is really wrong----NEVER sell a Mustang!!:cry: :cry: :laugh: :laugh:

4. incrediscape

incrediscape LawnSite Member

I have to agree with everyone else.
    If you are wanting to go solo don't do lawn mowing.
    I would cocentrate on Weed Control/Fertilize. This is more of a one man show type of job. Great Money, not a lot equipment. No Trailer needed.
    Just starting out, just start with a Doing Business Name before Inc.
    Work on getting your pesticide license. In Texas we go through the Dept. of Agriculture.
    Do not spend money advertising in the paper, instead pass out tons of flyers. That is your best way. If you have extra money, look into Money Mailer or Valpak.
    Good Luck to you,
    Billie
    Incrediscape TX

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

That is hard to do in FLA as it takes 3 years working for someone else before you can go on your own. (I think it is 3 years)

6. incrediscape

incrediscape LawnSite Member

In Texas there is two ways to get your pesticide license. One way take about 3 years the other way take no time at all. Pretty much everybody here goes throught the Texas Dept of Argiculture. Is there not a program like that in Flordia?
    Billie TX

7. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

do lawn mowing, but stick with yards that don't have a lot of lawn.

murray briggs is a good cheap mulch mower with side discharge. go honda if you want to bag.

people have been successful with this route. these people discouraging you have been so unsuccessful they are here trying to discourage newcomers from stealing their remaining customers. they don't seem to get that the customer does care about quality but don't want to pay for their truck.

do go with commercial grade blower, trimmer, edger, and hedge trimmer. you'll also want lopers, chainsaw, and pole saw to remove saplings and low branches which the last fired lawn care provider didn't remove. if you do make all of this part of your service even if they don't want it, the quality of work will exceed that of a person with 50K of truck and equipment and you'll get referrals or walk-ups. they do notice when you take the extra minute to blow everything clean. I even remove cob webs from the ceilings of the porch.

if you do landscape bed installation or minor lawn repair work, you'll want a honda tiller. pick-axe, digging shovel, scoop shovel, hoe, landscape/garden rake, and leaf rake also helpful. outsource any large tree removal, aeration, or major landscape work.

small mower does a better cut. you'll just want smaller yards. upgrade to trailer and large commercial grade when you decide you want larger yards and can afford it.

contact your department of agriculture about getting licensed for pesticide application. until then, don't be so proud that you don't bend over and yank them from flower beds or get them with the weed eater. I find a claw hammer very good at removing crabgrass from warm weather grasses. Works better than the broken weed removal tool I had.

i've had the high paying jobs and lived in fear of losing my high-paying jobs. ruining my credit and going bankrupt on 300K felt better than living in the fear of it. stay debt free if you can. you never know what will happen in the future.

8. GardnerLandscaping

watched a guy the other day mow the front yard with a 21" honda mower and mow the street and the back yard with a bobcat walk behind. the 21" honda did a better cut. i laughed to myself when i saw the old woman having to show him how to deadhead flowers.

9. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

What a jacka$$!! No clue that he needs to see a Dr. for his nasty oral diarrhea!! Once again, lack of experience and brain matter!
    Sounds like you've been successful!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You still haven't heeded the advise of others on this site I see!

Jaswir, there is good advice here from Lco's with experience and loads of knowledge. I have learned a great deal from these members and give them credit for the successes my business has achieved in a short amount of time. Just do a lot of reading and researching here, and you'll get to know who the B.S.ers are and who the real knowledgeable business people are. You are not required to act on the advice given here, but if not careful, you can be led in the wrong direction by people who lack business skills, experience and knowledge in this field. Good luck to you and feel free to email me on any questions you may have, particularly Florida. I'll try to help in any way I can.

10. GardnerLandscaping

You'd might also want to look at an LLC for the pass through tax. A regular C corporation will get you double taxed and requirements are a bit more brutal. LLC will still protect your personal property, just not your credit. The business license should be adequate for now. You can also go ahead and reserve a name for the same fee LLC filing requires to prove the date you started to use your trade mark with a business license.