My start up costs/equipment wishlist. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by yazzy, Nov 16, 2012.

1. yazzy

yazzy LawnSite Member

Alrighty, here's my start up list that I've gathered after long and hard research -- not!

The ZTR issue is still up in the air as I'm not sure if I want to buy new or a used one (to save money). I also had plans on doing an LLC but I think I'll hold off on that and just start as a DBA for at least a year.

Rough estimates:

LegalZoom DBA - $120
    500K Liability - $500ish /year
    Local Biz License - $20
    JD Z920 54" - $7700 (Quote from JD)
    Husqvarna 28cc Weedeater - $218 (debating STIHL FS 70, but already own 1 Husqvarna 28cc)
    STIHL BR350 Blower - $360
    STIHL FC 70 Edger - $299
    STIHL HS 45 Trimmer - $299
    14ft Trailer - $1300
    Justrite Fuel Cans - $160
    Twine - $40
    Push Mower - $200

I'm really comfortable with the JD and Stihl as that's what we used at work and rarely gave any problems.

So I'm looking at about $11000 starting out. Reasonable? Did I forget anything.

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

- Does your school district bid require more than $500k coverage? $1m to $2m is more likely, with proof often required with the bid.

- If you're going the DBA route, it will probably only run you $20-25. It's a simple form and LegalZoom is doing nothing that you can't easily do for this one.

- You forgot a marketing budget.

3. Spring Valley Lawn Service

Spring Valley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Get a 600 mag blower. On trimmers and edgers get straight shaft sticks. If trimmer or edger quits you can swap heads. Don't forget spare partS. Belts blades oil etc. if you buy new try to get the low or no interact loan. You won't have all your funds tied up.

4. yazzy

yazzy LawnSite Member

I've gone all over the schools policy handbook, they have their policy on bids and quotes, but no information regarding their insurance requirements. Next time I bump into the Superintendent, I may ask him about it. I'm really just flying by the seat of my pants on that particular issue.

Yeah, I had considered doing the DBA myself since it looked really simple.

I've got a few pieces of equipment I can sell/trade to cut down on my costs, plus a very low interest Helox loan to help.

I'm still in the research phase so it's going to be a while before I commit to buying anything that's for sure.

5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

"Alrighty, here's my start up list that I've gathered after long and hard research -- not!"

"I'm really just flying by the seat of my pants on that particular issue."

As a bit of professional advice, you want people to weigh in and help, but these kinds of comments might make it difficult for some to want to.

6. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

your DBA is easy at least here in MI..go to your local county clerks office pay them $10.00 and sign they do the notarizing. like I said thats how its done here in MI

7. yazzy

yazzy LawnSite Member

Well you folks obviously need to get a sense of humor. Somebody that can't chuckle at a little bit of sarcasm takes themselves way too seriously.

Yeah Nixray, I think me doing this DBA is the best route. After looking it up, I think I can do it all online on the state website, then just go to the IRS and get my EIN.

8. pricejs4518

pricejs4518 LawnSite Member

If you on this site...your off to a good start.
    Trailer set up will take some time and a few tweaks after you get started.
    Simply need to place things where they work for you.
    Quick start after arriving.
    Shouldn't be much moving equipment around when you arrive back home.
    I only unload mower to swap blades.
    good luck to ya

9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

You also forgot to add:

Shop tools/hand tools
    Mixing oil
    Another roll of trimmer line
    Truck ins.
    Spare belts/blades/parts for mower
    spare trailer tire

I'm sure there are more, these are just a few I thought of off the top of my head.

10. nismodude1988

nismodude1988 LawnSite Member
    from GA

I just started mine and i got the br430 for same price as 350 i hagled with them and also i would just get the kombi 110r system thats what i did and i use it every day 8-10 hours a day and have no problems i switch the attachment out and thats it save u some money in begining then u can advance and get multiples i only have 1500 invested and have all my weed eater attachmenta and a push mower i got a free trailer and traded my car for a truck on Craigslist lol and i forgot i pay 23 a month for insurance
    Posted via Mobile Device