1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

my start up list so far home depot

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Robert S, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

toro22 inch personal pace mower=399 ryobi 8 inch trimer=159 echo pb200blower=159 what you think will this work I also want a trailer 5X10 with gate 795 dollers will this get me started what else should i get any idea?:usflag:
  2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Stay away from the personal pace mower!!!!! Its a nice mower for residential but that it. Toro's personal pace will not hold up very long if your mowing several lawns a week. I bought a personal pace mower when they first came out and thought it would be a good mower on certain yards but boy was I wrong. I have had to replace the tranny, wheels, cables, governer, and the cost to replace all of this only 2yrs after purchase was more than the damn thing cost me in the first place. I use Toro Proline 21" and they are very tough machines and have been very happy with them but I bought the personal pace for certain yards and I will never do that again. The Echo PB200 is a good hand held blower but if you doing anything more than blowing off sidewalk go with something with more power like the PB403.
  3. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

will the blower work on leaves?and whats a better mower in this price range?thanks
  4. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

how mutch for the pro model?
  5. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn;t buy anything from Home Depot. No one understnads this but its "HOME" Depot, the stuff they sell is generally Chinese crap that is made for the weekend warrior use, not commercial or hard use. I would wait and invest in some real tools not DIY toys that are most likely going to be a pain in the rear later on down the road.
  6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

If the $399 mower would last 2 years, wouldn't it still pay for itself if that's all the budget allowed?

Isn't a pro mower going to be in the $900 range + ?

Seems that most pro models will need something too, in say, 3 to 4 years.

I haven't bought a pro mower (don't do lawns yet) - what's the price range for the small walk-behinds now?
  7. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

about 1200 more than i got
  8. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

not only stay away run away if your stuff breaks who's going to fix it? and it will break. the echo stuff they sell is good but get it from your dealer. end of story.
  9. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Robert- looking at a few of your posts, it sounds like you're dying to get started but really up against it financially. Is what you laid out above the extent of your startup budget? Have you looked at used pro equipment as an option?

10. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Papercutter- i was going to say the same thing. can't tell if robert s is goofing off or seriously getting into the business. Robert- with your limited funds- you just have to buy the best equipment you can afford. i lived off home depot and lowes my first season- exclusively. but as soon as you can, get a walk behind, commercial mower. I had a freaking walmart "weedeater" brand weedeater and hand held blower at first and a minivan that i piled all my crap into. Didn't even have ramps at first, just picked up the mower and muscled it into the van. Then, every payday, I'd try to upgrade. I have one dirty little secret for you. Home depot and lowes has a good return program. If you have a problem withiin a month you can return the mowers and stuff. Well, I had problems with 2 mowers and brought them back and instead of an exchange, I upgraded each time. it can be done with your budget, it's just harder using 21 in mowers. john deere, honda and toro seem to be very reliable machines- but like lawnpro mentioned- residential stuff doesn't hold up to 10 lawns per day. the wheels will go bald and get "loose", the cables and gears will wear out, the engine will sound like a mack truck after a half a season. buy, use, upgrade. you'll be able to have a better set up with in a year. buy a used trailer if you can. just pack the bearings, paind it and replace the wood= almost new trailer. good luck -ben