My Startup plan

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

Well I'm new to this whole game and I just wanted to get some feedback on my plan and setup. Ive started with a Budget of $40000 CDN dollars not US. So far my setup is as follows:

1998 Dodge ram 1500 short box for towing
    6X12 JDJ trailer with side gate
    Bobcat 52" ZT-219 ride on
    Bobcat 32" gear drive walk behind for gates
    Echo trimmers (230S and 260 PAS w/trimmer and edger)
    Echo Blower 650
    Green touch trimmer racks

As far as marketing goes right now I'm focusing on residential. I will tackle a bit of small commercial next year and ease my way in to it. For my marketing I am going to go with 5X7 card flyer's delivered by the Canada post and local newspapers. I'm also going to deliver by hand. I am going to post 24" X 12" 2 color signs around areas where I plan to heavily advertise. I have magnetic signs for my truck and i'm going to use an A frame type sign at the job site doubling as a safety cone so people don't drive up on my trailer when I'm at a job.

So far all of the things mentioned about are in motion. Trailer and equipment has been ordered, I pickup the truck tomorrow and the trailer next week. How does this sound to the experienced crew? Is there anything I am forgetting?

Cheers and thanks for looking
    Jeff

2. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not an experienced crew but it all sounds good. Just remember that it is illegal at least in the US to leave advertisements in a person mailbox. You can mail it to them but that is the only way. Good Luck with your business.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Im pretty sure its not that way in Canada but please some one correct me if im wrong. Your actually not allowed to just put fliers in peoples mailboxes?

Cheers
    Jeff

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm new to this as well, and though I don't have a lot of experience, I'd recommend that you get a hydro walk behind if you can afford it.

A 21" push mower would also be something you should think about adding to your arsenal for really cluttered/tight spots.

And yes, here in the US it is illegal to put things in people's mailbox if you're not the postman:)

5. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your off to a pretty good start! Good luck!

6. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

I know what you mean about the hydro but its just to expensive. I mean i spent $9300 on the ride on and $3900 for the 32 inch walk and a 36 inch hydro (smallest one and not really great for gates) would be around $7000. As for push mower I really don't have any budget yet for a super high quality one so i'm gonna go with probably a home owner Murray or toro. I'm sure the amount I'm using it will last me at least a season or 2. Anymore input appreciated.

Cheers

Jeff

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would focus on a certain size of yards, either small or large. Then you won't have to be getting a 32" and a 52" unit. A 36" might go through the gates and still do pretty big yards. All this equipment takes up storage space and is hard to lug around. A hydr walkbehind is not absolutely necessary especially if you get a Scag belt drive. We use both and while the hydro is more productive it is more expensive, like you note.

8. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, your from Canada too? Do you know Dean?

Where abouts are you located?

9. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

Well the 32" is only 300 more then the 36 and it will guarantee me gates. Around here there is a huge variety of lot sizes, some with huge front yards and tiny back yards and some just the opposite. I would just like something that would guarantee me back yards so I don't have to loose that business but I do see your point.

Cheers
    Jeff

10. Lynden-Jeff

Dean who? Im sure there is a zillion deans in Canada. Im from ontario near T.O. :canadaflag:

Cheers
    Jeff