1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My take on meg mo blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T.E., Nov 19, 2003.

1. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased my megs on about the 3rd wk. of oct. Had not had time to install them until today. I installed them on my toro 52" z master with a 25hp kohler. Here is what I have found out.

I put them on with the toro mulch kit and that wasn't to good of a combo. The grass was wet after much rain, and the grass started coming up over the deck.

I took off the mulch kit and mowed the same grass (this is my lawn) and I was impressed! it blew the grass several feet,and that is know exaggeration it really blows the grass out from under the deck. After I mowed my lawn the deck was very clean, and the lawn is wet enough to leave tracks in the grass.

I then went out into the pasture that has not been mowed all year, and started bushhogging the pasture and it did leave a few strips, but it was cutting 2 to 3 ft of fescue it still mowed it better than when I go over it on a bi-monthly basis. Left it looking very good.
    I don't have a dig. cam or I'd show some pic's

Leaves: Here is where I need some help all I have in my yard in Hackberry trees and as most know the leaves are not really big, and the mower is blowing most of the leaves out from the deck before it has a chance to shred them. So I put a piece of expanded metal over the disharge and it was not very long before it was plugged up, and blowing debris out from under the deck. I was however mowing grass and mulching the leaves at the same time,and it was very wet maybe this is the problem. It might do better when the leaves are dry but I can't wait for that to happen or I'll have to wait till next spring :D

Question; What have some of you found out that might remedy this?

analysis: grass fine with the mulcher off very good cut.
    leaves not so good. Thanks for the help. Tony
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for sharing your expierences!!!

3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

come on guys and gals almost 200 views and one response.
  4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have the mo megs. But, from what most say, they preform just like doubles. Maybe better, maybe worse?

But to mulch leaves, you need a mulch kit. Putting doubles, or mowmegs in that small of an area with out room to breath is just going to cause problems. Or you could mulch them by just double, tripple cutting.
  5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the front of the deck tilted down (pitch) so you don't get blow out?
  6. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

what about that blowout baffel
    i heard about?
    maby on exmark board
    whould it even work on a toro?
  7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

With MEG MO blades you do not need a mulching kit. IF a lot of blow out put anything to lower front of deck belting is best.
  8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Meg-Mo dude, I think we can all figure out what your meaning here, but the words used in your statement make no sense.
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

And those of use that are mulching know there's a big difference between an open chute, an OCDC, and a real mulching baffle kit. The kit is by far the best way to mulch if true mulching is what you want to do.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just a quick question T.E.....

How did you get around the blade cradle on the bottom of the spindle? Spacer? Cut it off?

If you spaced it, then your Meg-Mo's are WAY too low in the deck. Since the Meg-Mo disc is THICKER than a normal blade, THEN the knives attach BELOW this disc.

Only mowers that the Meg-Mo can safely operate in are decks that use offset blades. Like this.

Or decks that have removable spacers at the bottom of the spindle shaft.

All others will place the cutting edge too low in relationship to all deck baffles.