My take on the Big 3 1/2 tons

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grassmanak, Mar 30, 2007.

1. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

Here is my take on the big three truck companies in the 1/2 ton category. Im not righting for a he said she said battle either. About a month ago someone rear ended me on the interstate. I drive a 4 door gmc sierra. The truck is smooth shifting, plenty of power. Gets good gas milage. Comfortable to ride in. Everything you would expect out of a truck. Well after i got in the accident i was given a 2 different rental trucks. First was a 05 dodge 1500 crew cab. Truck has hemi engine and has loads of power. The suspension is great, the ground clearence was also nice while hunting as well. The seats are so so on the comfort level, probably not something you would want to drive across the country in. And the gas milage, well yea its a hemi. Now currently i have an 06 ford f150, 4 door. Let me tell you this thing is the biggest pile of steaming shiZ i have ever drove. The 5.4 drives like a 4 cylinder engine. To accelerate in any moderation the truck has to downshift. It like driving in a box on wheels, suspension is stiff for a grocery getter. I have had to tow my trailer a few times with it and OMG, they god i only have walk behinds on there, anything bigger and i wouldnt be able to hit the minumum speed limit on the highway. Honestly, how do you guys drive it, the gas milage is terrible. Isnt this the same engine they put into 3/4's as well.

Breakdown

GM-Pros-- Everything

Dodge- Pros---- Suspension, Ride Quality, Hemi Engine

Cons- Seats- Gas milage

Ford- Pros-- Nice paper weight

Cons- Everything, go back to the drawing board and build a new truck.

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

well youve obviously got a friday truck. my good friends 05 150 4x4 with the 5.4, pulled my trailer quite well. my trailer weighed almost 5000 pounds with both our mowers and everything else. pulled it better than my dodge does. and gets pretty good fuel mileage for a gasser. ride is perfect also. dont know whats wrong with the one you got, but thats not anything like my experiences. you sure it has the 5.4?

3. ribbie78

ribbie78 LawnSite Member

the 5.4 is pretty much a turd of a motor; numbers on paper don't always match performance. I agree though with Tex. Yours shouldn't be giving you the trouble it is.

I opted for the 4.6 and it works better believe it or not in some situations than the 5.4. With a chip it gives the same hp as the big lazy brother 5.4 but with much better acceleration. However, I only bought a 2wd regular cab so the weight isn't there.....

I haven't tried the new chevy's but the new facelift they gave them I sure like better. Dodge's aren't bad but all i hear from the guys driving them is steering and drivetrain complaints.

If ya wanna go big would have to go with a diesel.

just my 2cents

4. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

I never heard of the 150 being that bad. Most i know that have them have had no trouble towing 5k.

I'm surprised you liked the Dodge. Those are a piece. Cheap interior, seat are horrible, electrical problems galore.

Dodges are like boats. You have 2 happy days, they day you get it and the day you sell it.

5. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got an 06 F-150 4wd supercab with the 5.4 and I've never had a towing problem. Towed a Bobcat 325 a few times and mowers and my tractor alot plus hauling hay and straw and routinely hauling a pallet of dog food at 1100+ lbs. and I have no complaints on my F-150. Gas mileage averages 15-16 mpg's doing everything I listed abve with alot of off road or slow driving on back roads, highway I can get 22 mpg at about 60 mph cruise.

If you take you truck to the dealer they can do a reflash of the computer which will most likely fix your lack of power complaint. Some of the early 04 new style Fords had an issue on the computer and that was the solution, I never had a problem in my 4.6 2004 F-150 either.

6. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got hired at a Ford Dealership. I have a 45 min. Video on how the build quality is better in a ford than the new chevy they just came out with. I thought it was interesting. It covered stuff like frame, motor, drivetrain, interior, and all that good stuff. But your entitled to your opinion.

7. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

maybe their is something wrong with it, im not sure, its not mine (thank god) its a rental until i get mine back. Who knows, it acts real funny though, rough start up, almost like a carburated vehicle, tranny shifts hard sometimes also. And birdhunter why do you need a pallet of dog food, you must have some hungry kids

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2000 f-150 with the 5.4 and I will admit it is a dog towing and it squats like a girl with any weight in the bed. With that said its a half ton, a glorified car. It has 175-K miles with less than 2-K in repairs over the life of the vehicle. It is comfortable and I have been very happy with it.

I have a 03 Chevy 3/4ton Uncomfortable to sit and ride in had numerous mechanical problems and it has less than 40-K miles. It does tow well and hold the weight.

I have an 04 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel. Everything is great about this truck but it is new less than 30-K miles. Time will tell.

The new full sized Toyota looks interesting. I will probably stick to the Dodges for work trucks.

9. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

13 bird dogs is why there is a pallet of feed, sometimes 2 pallets in my truck fairly often. A pallet gets split between a buddy of mine and I. Everytime I post something about hauling a pallet of dog food someone always asks why I haul so much dog food, if I have a big dog or something.

10. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

My personal is a 94 Dodge 1500 with a 5.9 in it and its holding up pretty good other than some rust on it. I must have a fluk because I'm still on its orginal Tranny. Dodge builds a great engine but their transmissions don't hold up. Plus they are not known for great gas mileage, I think I get about 8 in the city and 12 on the freeway. In fact with all the commericals on tv Dodge never said "Best in fuel economy" for anything they produce. But you got to love them they put truck engines into cars. In my opinion they are the best looking on the road with ford in second. GM's are nasty looking bricks on wheels.