My town water has...

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by wallzwallz, Apr 8, 2008.

1. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

I finally got around to calling my water department. Now I need the tea or water gurus help. Here is what they add:potassium permaganate, Potassium Hydroxide and sodium hypochloride[chlorine] 12.5% solution. I think the 2 potassiums are for ph and iron. What I don't know is what these additives will do to my tea? I think I have the chlorine worked out, aerate and add humate? What about the other 2? thanks for any Help. Mike

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Indeed potassium permangenate and potassium hydroxide are used to oxidize and help with acid conditions with the iron and high minerals that plague these guys in their water systems.

Potassium Permangenate is an oxidizer (Minerals)
    Potassium Hydroxide deprotonates acids

Once they do their job they do not exist (well they are in a different form), so we do not have worry about those at all.

They may introduce sodium hypochloride at a 12.5% solution but what they are trying to accomplish is a deliverable rate of 2PMM at the most 4PPM to the end user, once you start to get above 4PPM it REALLY smells like chlorine (depending on the PH)

3. wallzwallz

Thanks Bill.

4. ICT Bill

In short, your water is like most municipal systems.

Chlorine is very high near the facility and drops off as you get further away. This is one of the reasons some have moved to chloramines, they are more stable.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

at least they dont add fluoride and poly flox or some other "pollutant" start out gassing and try some vinegar it seems to de stabilize the chlorine

6. Tom Jaszewski

Tom Jaszewski LawnSite Member

2 grams of ascorbic acid in 100G of water with Cl level of 2PPM will eliminate the chlorine.

7. ICT Bill

Tom,
    Are you telling me that my water might get scurvy?

In what form do you add it, throw in a navel orange (joking) vitamin C pill or can you just go out and buy ascorbic acid. seriously I don't know

8. Tom Jaszewski

Tom Jaszewski LawnSite Member

Vita d Chlor is a commercial branding specifically sold for water treatment. There is a good calculator on their web site. Ascorbic acid can be purchased by the lb. on the internet. You should be able to find it for about $10/lb from chemical supply companies. 1 lb will treat 22,000 gallons of water.
    http://www.vita-d-chlor.com/Calculator_Reservoir.htm
    I used to buy 25 kilo boxes for < $300 delivered.

9. ICT Bill

Thanks Tom,

Obviously a very inexpensive de-chlor, 4 ten thosands of a penny per gallon. That fits right into my budget :)

10. wallzwallz

Thanks Treegal and Tom, I did buy the vita-d-chlor. How do you measure grams in that small amount? The closest conversion I found was powdered sugar, closest consistency of the product, is 1 teaspoon is 2.5 grams.