My Trailer stolen this morning!!!

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by theyatesies, May 21, 2009.

1. theyatesies

theyatesies LawnSite Member

I am a school teacher and I left for school at 7:10 and my wife left at 7:20 and the neighbors say it was there at 7:45 but not there at 8:10am. It was changed thru the wheels and locked with a bolt cutter proof lock. They cut the chain and away they went. No equipment was on thank god. We live in a good safe neiborhood. If it can happen here then it can happen anywhere.
    Any suggestions are securing the new trailer I now have to buy?

2. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

welcome to the club. put it in garage, backyard, or rent enclosed storage.

3. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Wow. Sorry that happened, at least as you said there was no equipment on it. I don't have a good reccommendation beyond leaving it out of site, etc.

Strange, but I see trailers in my neighborhood left unattended and unlocked all the time. Seems like an invitation to me, strange they don't lock them down better.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

5. SC Irrigator

SC Irrigator LawnSite Member
    from SC

had mine stolen one time w/ dingo.....it sucked......but got it back though....

6. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

If I have to leave mine unattended for a few days I take a wheel off. I know you wouldn't want to do that every day. Have a shop built to put it in, then you wouldn't have to unload it every day.

7. Wizz

Wizz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Do you have a privacy fence to the back-yard?...if so make a gate or at least have a removable section of fence so you can park the trailer back there. That sucks...the timing being coincidentally just after you guys left would have me thinking...wouldn't be surprised if it's someone in the area or someone that has been on your property before and knows your schedule. Best of luck.

8. Richard Martin

That works well until you run into someone that does this all of the time. A few days is more than enough time to round up a trailer wheel.

The best thing you can do is make sure the equipment and trailer are insured against theft. And make sure it's a replacement value policy. There's nothing worse than having your equipment stolen and then have your insurance company tell you the blue book value was 1/3 of what the equipment cost new.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

They make security devices that shroud the actual receiver of the trailer so it can't be hooked onto a ball...

10. Richard Martin

I saw a guy pulling a trailer that was only attached to the truck by chains.

Try again.