My trees are infested with beetles...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I only have two trees in my yard and the beetles seem to be doing a number on them. You can hear the little bastards chewing and chewing. It's driving me nuts. They are also making a mess of my deck with all the little debris falling out of the trees.. :realmad:

Anyway.. The trees are fairly large (20' x 20') Plum trees and I'm getting a little concerned. I asked a local applicator about this a couple of days ago and he said that if the trees are that big.. "you don't need to worry about it". He said you only need to be concerned with trees of a caliper of 4" or less.

Is this correct?

I also planted some Crepe Myrtles this spring and are doing very well.... but I'm starting to find that the beetles are taking a liking to them. I bought some Malathion to spray on them. Will this stuff work at keeping them away?

Thanks in advance.......

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Malathion has no residual and it STINKS! Try Talstar or Sevin.

3. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

liquid sevin works well on my crepe, rose, cherry. just have to spray every couple weeks, maybe more with rain and not in the middle of day when it's the hottest.

4. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Check into getting some traps for japanese beetles. I started a thread down below on the same subject.

5. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

To save one plant I have resorted to a shop vac with mixed results but for the whole yard I use traps. The vac got many of them but there's just so many. God I hate those things.

6. Tscape

Do not do this!

7. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I know why your saying this but I disagree and the reason I say that is yes it attracts them but man there there any way. The trick with traps is to set them as far away from you landscape/yard /trees or what ever as you can. I have six traps on my fence row and I have had to change the bags three times just this week. That's hundreds probably thousands of them that wont be laying eggs ever again. That has to be better than not killing them at all. Chemicals can only do so much and in less your whole neighbor hood spays your still going to have to deal with the adults some how. JMHO It's helping in my yard I can see the results I have lots of them still ..sure but from the damage there are doing I can tell I have far fewer than I did before I used the traps.

8. Tscape

I am not saying don't kill them at all. I am advocating spraying the plants you want to protect with Talstar or Sevin, several times over the course of the weeks they are active. Research has shown that traps attract more pests, as you know. It's like a bug zapper.

9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Should I be concerned with the Plum trees :confused:

10. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the applicator is right in some aspect. will the beetle kill the tree? a large tree as you discribed will most likley be ok, the leaves will grow back, on a smaller tree, well there not as strong/have the stored nutriants that a large tree does, but still should come out of it fine.. now for the visual aspect, it looks like crap and should be sprayed. you said it was a plum tree? if it is a fruit tree and there is a possiblity that the fruit may be eatten? then DO NOT use talstar, it's not labled for fruit trees, sevin on the other hand is labled for fruit trees, again check the lable!! also pbi gordon has a product also called AZATROL, it is labled for certin fruit trees and it is a repelent as well as a insecticide www.pbigordon.com