1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My trimmer blows!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmurphy, Jul 14, 2006.

1. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone else ever find it easier to just blow the clippings off of the sidewalk with their trimmer? There is a certain angle to hold the head at and then it just clears it. I find that is saves me time. How about you?
  2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

what about the driveway?
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

too slow for me, ive done it when my blower hasn't started before but that's been it. I also use the trimmer to get wet, caked down grass off paved and cement surfaces.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well if you are joe schmoes lowballerz supreme then a trimmer might do ok but professionals use blowers for a reason. A trimmer wont blow the dirt from edging off of the sidewalk anyway.
  5. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

If you can get away with a half a@*ed job, more power to you. While it may technically work, it isn't something to get in the habit of doing for jobs the client actually notices. It only works in small areas too, as one mentioned about driveways. There also runs a good possibility of hitting a tiny stone and sending it into someone's living room. Creative idea, but it's not feasible in a professional world.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, you figured out how to use the trimmer as a blower, cool, isn't it?

I usually head it flat down the center at WOT to clear sidewalks, also the Wb clears the driveways. 'n yeah, watch for rocks lol.

But it's a real handy-dandy if you ever forget your blower at home, I've only had this happen once or twice in 5 years, but knowing this trick saved me.
  7. Sure I do it when it can save me a trip back to the truck. And my 36" WB with double blades clear a driveway just about as good as my big Shindiawa blower.
    But I try to hold it to a minimum. I don't want to get hauled off because I'm always out there "Mowing the driveway and weed-eating the sidewalk."
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If it's like a small 4+4 cement platform I will use the trimmer. But if there is anything else to blow off in the yard then out comes the bc.
  9. jmurphy

I dont do it all the time, just when there are a few clippings.
  10. jmurphy

I am also no joe shmo loballer.