My trip to NJ DMV today...about class A

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mrusk, Apr 11, 2006.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Since i am buying a 14k gvw trailer i figure i better go make sure i don't need a CDL to tow it. I go down to the MVC office and tell them i will be towing a 14k gvw with a 9000gvw truck. They i talked to 3 different people. They all looked at me like it was the dumbest question ever and than said 'No i don't need a cdl'.

So i guess in NJ i am ok.

Matt

2. NJemerald

NJemerald LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hey mrusk, Where you out of???
    I just had a buddy pulled over on 80 last week for being over the weight limit required for having a cdl! I'll have to check with him again for the details, if your interested!?

Bryan

3. mrusk

I'm from northen NJ.

Yea check with your buddy. i'd apperciate it!

4. Shortchained

Shortchained LawnSite Member

The law says if your trailer is over 10,000 lbs. a class A CDL is required.

5. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/cdl.htm

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

reading between the lines... 26001 GVWR triggers CDL need, over 26k PLUS TOWING with trailer rating under 10k = B; -but with trailer rating over 10k = A

REMEMBER... It is the GVWR, Not the actual weight. It's an expensive ticket, so I keep a CDL (with DOT medical card - required...)

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i will tell you there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in what the half breeds at DMV tell you and what the staties are gonna write you a ticket for. i'd call your local state police barracks and ask them...

7. mrusk

STRIGHT FROM THE CDL MANUAL

class a is need if you drive

-A tractor trailer
    -A truck and trailer with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the GCWR of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds.

Thats word for words. What do you think of that? I think its acctually pretty clear.

8. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought that regs were federal...in which case an trailer over 10k needs a CDL A....then if the combination is over 26k you need DOT numbers and a medical card too

9. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

your GCWR triggers the CDL requirements.

GCWR over 26,000#s requires a CDL

CDL REQUIRED:
    truck 9,900# GVWR + trailer 18,000# GVWR = 27,900# GCWR

truck 20,000#GCWR + trailer 10,000#GVWR = 30,000#GCWR

CDL NOT REQUIRED:
    truck 9,900#GVWR + trailer 14,000#GVWR = 23,900#GCWR

truck 20,000#GVWR + trailer 5,000#GVWR = 25,000# GCWR

10. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

you need DOT numbers if your GVWR is over 18,000#s

you need commericial plates if your GVWR is over 12,500#s

you need CDL A if your GCWR is over 26,000#s

im going through this whole process right now registering for these numbers and my new trucks. iv talked to state police, and state DOT inspectors. Above is the simple answer.