My truck died today. Here are my options.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Hardcore5657, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Hardcore5657

Hardcore5657 LawnSite Member

My 89 chevy 2500 took a crap today and not worth fixing. So I will pull around my trailer with my hummer H2. I already had one landscaper on my block bust me about it tonight when he saw me hooking my trailer up to the hummer but hey the grass has to get cut monday! So I just bought some new equipment and a vac system for my zt. lot of money laid out last month. Do I buy a cheap truck to get mr through the rest of summer or use the hummer the rest of the year and get a newer nicer truck next year to pull the trailer with. Trading in the hummer this year for a pickup is not an option I love my H2

2. R & R Yard Designs

R & R Yard Designs LawnSite Senior Member

What is wrong with the truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Hardcore5657

Hardcore5657 LawnSite Member

Electical fire in the steering colum, the inside is toast

4. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why is the landscaper frowning on you for towing your trailer with a Hummer?

5. Geo2199

Geo2199 LawnSite Member

I would just tow with the H2. is it the SUV or the 4 door truck version? and the running gear of the H2 is all 2500 axles, brakes, diffs including LS 6.0 motor. Aren't they rated to tow 10,000lbs?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Take some good advice when you get it because I don't give it out nice and easy much, here goes:
    Love of material things and business don't mix, break up with your Hummer because no matter how much you love
    your Hummer it won't save your ass, then trade it in and don't buy a cheapo to get you through, don't go all hog
    wild crazy either, just get what you need, nothing more, no less, trade the hummer so you can get what you need
    as that's actually the best you can do, for both yourself and the hummer.

Good luck.

7. Geo2199

Geo2199 LawnSite Member

I dont think he needs to. If the H2 is already paid for he can use it for work. Plus all H2s come with 4wd, locking rear edns, good ground clearence, hi payload and towing capacities plus a proven 6L V8. His brakes, suspension, driveshaty and axles all come out of the 2500HD silverado that was made at the time.

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

First decent piece of advice from topsites since he joined the forum.

Can we make this a sticky....1 out of 30,000 isnt bad:waving:.....I included ones that were deleted

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This message is hidden because nepatsfan is on your ignore list.

Please do me a favor and do the same for me, next wise comment out of you goes to the moderators and
    once that happens we can both kiss it good bye because I won't back down, you folks have your complaints
    about what I have to say but you can throw your wise comments around, that don't fly with me.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have to carry anything in the bed of your truck regularly or can everything pretty much stay on the trailer? If everything can stay on the trailer and you don't need a truck bed for a while, I would just keep using the hummer.

When next year rolls around, start looking around for a newer truck. It doesn't have to be brand new, but 3-4 year old trucks are a pretty good option. That age truck usually has minimal problems and the prices aren't too bad either.

Until you can afford a replacement truck to your old '89, just keep using the hummer.