My truck, Dodge Ram 1500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JFGauvreau, Dec 9, 2009.

1. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my truck I will use for my new business next year. I bought it in late august, pictures were taken during that time.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 2wd. 5.7L HEMI.

I will add more features in the spring for sure.

What do you think?

RAM 012.jpg

RAM 016.jpg

RAM 017.jpg

RAM 026.jpg

2. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice truck. I had an 04' 1500 before I bought the 06' I currently have. It was black w/ the sport paint scheme, 2wd, w/ a 4.10 rear end, & the 4.7 v8. It was a quick truck, but it sure sucked the fuel down, so much so that it would've been better having the Hemi.

3. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

why 2wd? but its a nice truck, eventho im gmc man

4. JFGauvreau

Ya they say the HEMI 5.7 has better gas mileage than the 4.7

And 2wd, because the 4x4 was more expensive, more on insurance and on gas, and I don't need a 4x4, i'm only gonna be towing about 2000 pounds max.

5. Armstrong Lawn Service

Armstrong Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Personally I prefer GMC as well, but it looks nice. I like the 5.7. I love having a nice looking truck, but I hate working with it because then I don't want to ruin it haha

6. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good!!

I thought about trading in my '00 Durango R/T for a newer Ram, more so for the bed, and additional space overall. Still, my 'D' still treats me well and the manual shift full time transfer case cannot be had on new half ton models. Electronic units can be a b**** to maintain when they start to fail. I liked my old C1500 GMC only because it had better ride quality, but it was terrible in the snow.

7. JFGauvreau

I have a lot of fun here in Canada with this 2wd in the snow lol.

But ya the truck will be very dirty when I start working, especially for asphalt sealing, I need a way to keep my truck's interior very clean with no sealant anywhere.

8. 360ci

I bought my '90 C1500 of my cousin for $2000 safetied and emissions tested. I was more or less limited in traction to my tires. It had newer SlickYear ATS tires on it, and they had maybe 4/32nds of tread left all around in 2003 when I sold it before the winter. It had 400K on the original 5.0L V8. Open differential would constantly do the one wheel peel when trying to climb hills, and as I owned a 24/7/365 business at the time, time was money and I had enough of spending it on the roads before the plows came out.

I wouldn't mind a 2wd V6 ext cab truck with the anti-spin, but the V8 in the winter was overkill. Ford no longer has a V6, and GM and Dodge offer it only in the lowest trim level. A shame really.

At least with asphalt sealing you should have a constant weight in the back to aid in traction! My ol' C1500 had NOTHING in the back, except a sheet of plywood to cover the bed floor. lol

9. JFGauvreau

No if your talking about those 300 or so gallons tank of sealant, the 100 feet of hose, the engine ect, (the sealant equipment mounted to the back) I plan on putting that in an enclosed trailer, if I leave it on the back of my truck, it might spilled and get my truck VERY dirty. I'll put tarps in my trailer and put the sealing equipment there, also with an enclosed trailer, it is more safe.

10. 360ci

That makes sense. I was wondering to myself why you didn't have a 3/4 ton truck if you're constantly carrying that weight around. Then again, hitch weight also aids in traction in the snow.

I saw a 2500 Chev in the ditch yesterday morning, he had a good 16-28' tandem axle cargo trailer hooked on the back. I imagine it had some weight, as by the looks of the skid marks (in the snow), he braked too fast and the trailer ended up pushing the truck sideways. This morning, I saw a transport truck that was in a similar situation, but the trailer was upright with the landing gear broken, and the tractor was on it's side in the ditch. At least they ditched the vehicle instead of ramming it into some unfortunate soul. Skid school is a beautiful thing.