1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

My truck is a friggin gas hog!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, May 21, 2007.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 LS reg.cab long bed 4x4, 6.0 V8 cast iron heads, 4L80E trans and 4.10 gears. I say that because the 6.0's are mostly all aluminum, I just got the rare one I guess. The truck has 95k on the clock and a new trans with only 7k on it. I dont have a lead foot and the tire size is 265/75R16. Brakes are new, etc. I dont tow a big trailer at all, 6.5ftx10ft which weighs 880 lbs. I only have my weedwacker, edger, mower and lawn boy on it. I get maybe 5-7 mpg towing the trailer and maybe 8-10mpg with out. Mind you the plow frame is off, etc so it is a bare truck. I keep up on ALL maintenance, just did oil change, and new air filter. What I dont get is it got 14 mpg in the winter with 600-800 lbs of salt in it, the plow, tools, in 4x4, pushing snow. Now bare bones truck gets worse mileage. I dont get it. What is making this thing suck the gas down so friggin bad?? It has a slight leak in the exhaust gasket on the manifold, but it was like that in the winter. I wouldnt think that would cause it to be such a hog. Any help or ideas or anything would be appreciated. And NO I am not gonna get a new truck either.

2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

When was the last time it had a major tune up ? might be time for plugs and all the other stuff that goes with a major tune up

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Did that a month ago. Plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc

4. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

Don't measure by mileage, go by the foot. Much higher number.

5. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

My 2001 Dodge 1500 360 V-8 w/ 40000 miles on it got 3 mpg plowing snow and about 8mpg pulling trailers.:cry:

6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have a locking gas cap?

7. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Man thats is pretty bad good thing I didn't almost buy a 2500hd with the 6.0 in. My 2001 f-250 4x4 with the 6.8 v10 gets 12.5mpg around town and 9 to 10 hauling the trailer, and I thought my truck was getting back gas mileage.

8. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Ever have the Check engine light come on ? May want to get it scanned for codes, it could show something marginal and not turn the light on. O2 sensors do not last for ever, a compitrnt mechanic can evaluate them, they do degrade over time and are one major component in determining air / fuel ratio. Those 4.10 gears certainly do not help much in the mileage area. Also could jack each wheel off the ground to spin them and check for any brakes that may be dragging.

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks alot guys!!!:waving: Yeah it is pretty bad, but I guess I will have to deal with it. Scholzee, the light came on once a few months ago, but never since. I will have to take it down and have it scanned for codes. I hope it is only one o2 sensor if thats the problem, because there are 4 of them and 100bucks a piece:cry:

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the combo of heavy weight and low gears and extra friction of 4x4 all are adding up to = poor gas milage. my 10mpg dosnt sound so bad now