1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

My Trucks equipment and work pictures

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Copacabana, Feb 4, 2012.

1. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

I missed this whenever you first posted it, but those are some real nice stripes.
  2. lawnpropm

lawnpropm LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with that 100%. There's and old saying around here ....mowing lawns pays bills, installing landscapes buys trucks.... I have been thinking about this alot lately but I love mowing honestly and our customers usually gets us to do maintenance on our installs.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Copacabana

Copacabana LawnSite Member

Yeah, I agree with that saying! The problem with becoming an Installation only company is that it requires a whole lot more advertisement and you got to make sure every job you do gets you a couple of referrals (which you should do no matter what business you're in). I think the way to becoming a successful landscaping company starts with maintenance but at some point in the near future you got to be doing more jobs than mowing to actually be able to get money out and invest in building a "secure" future for your family.
  4. Copacabana

Thank you! I need to go out sometime with the mowing crew and take some pictures for you guys. After the spring fever ends, I'll do that.
  5. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

This guy i met here in my town. He is landscaping company only. Back when he bought the company it was a commercial company that had 15 ZTR's. But he got sick of employees sold all of his equipment and contracts. He works by himself. He does amazing work. Best ive ever seen literally! Great guy to work with.
  6. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Nice dump trailer!
  7. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Not to jump on you but the person you speak of must not have any idea how to run a business. I dont dought he does great work but When you work by yourself for yourself all you have done is created a job for you not a business. Every one has employee problems but its part of running a business. You have to have employees to grow, you can only do somuch work by yourself.
  8. Copacabana

I think he wasted a lot of money purchasing a large commercial maintenance business if he doesn't like or wants to deal with bad or unreliable employees. In my case, I want to make more money and grow the company as an installation only. I want more employees, more equipment and such as we get more installations. I just don't like the amount of time and cost that mowing grass takes for the small return.

Thank you!

I agree! Business is all about vision. If you want to stay small and work yourself out, thats no problem. In the landscaping industry, you can't make a whole lot of money working alone.
  9. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

Yep your right im wrong. See the work and high quality jobs he does you'll see it differently. But im wrong. Of course
  10. Copacabana

After months of having my guys asking for a "big" blower I finally decided to buy them one. We have many properties that can benefit from having a walk behind blower like this.

I also got us a HS45 Stihl hedge trimmer with the oversized blade and an Echo PPT-266 Power pruner 13.2ft reach. My die hard Stihl fan sales guy, told me that the echo was a much better unit, hopefully I won't have much problems with it. We did 6 hours of none stop pruning with both the echo and the Stihl today and I noticed that the Echo is more economical than our Stihl HT100 pole pruner.